Ownership and Review of a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder

Greetings all - I recently ordered a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder speakers, or SSC-4900's. They are in the middle of the Ohm Walsh lineup, and are about 38 inches tall and the cylinder cabinets about 12.5 inches in diameter.

Specs are listed at 88 dB for a 2.8 V input, and a response curve of +/- 3 dB from 25 to 20,000 Hz. 

This whole process is part of a "high end, high value, USA made two channel system" thread I started a couple of months ago on another forum. The electronics are the PS Audio Stellar Gain Pre-amp/DAC and a pair of PS Audio M700 mono amps.

The PS Audio equipment has already elevated the Axiom M100's and Martin Logan Electro Motion ESL speakers in terms of performance. The Axioms have a "twin" available in Brick and Mortar outlets from Bryston called the A1's. 

For reference, other speakers which we have or still have in house include: Klipsch LaScala II's, Legacy Signature SE's, Infinity IRS Sigmas, Ascend Sierras, PSB Strata Goldi, VMPS Super Towers and a host of other speakers. 

The Ohm Walsh speakers have been something about which I have read since 1977 (the year I got the audio bug), but have never had the chance to experience. The SSC-4900's sell for $4900 per pair, though the name and pricing are coincidental. The "4900" is due to the idea that the speakers are "almost a 5000", but with less controls - one switch vs. 4 for the 5000, but also a lower price.

John Strohbeen, who is he president at Ohm and who has been with them for almost 40 years, was gracious enough to spend an hour talking on the phone about our room, the associated gear, and also that there would be a review thread. It was after this discussion that we decided on the SSC-4900's. 

I am purchasing the speakers, not getting a review pair. They are under the 120 day return policy. John is well aware that my daughter sings opera, my son is adept at classical guitar, and that live music is the reference. He was actually quite pleased about this. 

This will be fun (at least for me), and hopefully informative. Comments are welcome. 

I honestly have no idea what to expect from the Walsh sound. They are so different from other speaker designs that the only thing to do is set them up properly and hear what happens! 
craigsub
My F5s similarly came in 6 boxes in 2008. 2 for cabinets, 2 for drivers, two for grilles. This saved much time and aggravation getting these into and set up in the room downstairs. These are big and heavy and would be harder to ship safely much less move around fully assembled. Assembly was a snap, Attach fail proof connector and tighten 4 wing nuts to secure driver on top of cabs. These also sit on lockable castors which makes moving them around in the room and tweaking location for setup a snap. I would never want to deal with anything as big and bulky as these otherwise.
Roysq - A lot of info on the driver is available here:

https://ohmspeaker.com/technology/#coherent-line-source-driver

I think the woofer is 12 inches, and the bass is very good. It goes a bit deeper than the Axiom LFR-1100's, which extend to about 31 Hz. 

When you go to the link, the woofer is inverted, and a lot of work went into the design to make it full range, with just a tweeter to augment the highs.
All the largest OhM walshes with level switches on the cans (5, 5000, and most likely these) use 12" main driver. The diameter of the can is essentially the size of the driver.
Yeah, figured it was a 12 inch. Should be tons of bass in that big tube. As for that link... I think it’s a bit misleading. I suspect they are using an off the shelf, or slightly modified full range driver. Doesn’t bug me, just curious as to who makes it. I figure it’s paper based, which doesn’t bother me either. Just always interested to figure out what the driver might be and get an idea of the quality etc.  Also curious at to the tweeter.

I realize they build (like everyone) to a price point and margin, but I'm always curious what could be done in a more cost no object type build.  Could/Would they sound even better?

I know it’s the sound that matters, and what I’ve heard of older stuff, they sound great for the price point. But with the more expensive stuff, just wondering what the quality of the parts, crossovers etc are for the money and vs the competition. It’s remarkable how little info is really out there on their newer stuff.
Roysq .... This is not my trying to pick a fight, but rather responding to some of your post.

1. On what are you basing your suspicion that this is an off the shelf driver? 

2. All too often, when we are told about all the wonderful drivers used in a speaker, the speaker does not sound like music. Golden Ear is a great example of this. I have auditioned the Triton Ones in three different showrooms, and none of them sounded like music. They were loud, and clean, but they were not engaging. In one case, a pair of Klipsch Heresy's with a JL Audio Dominion 10 inch sub was in the same room, and was SO much more musical that it wasn't even close. 

When auditioning speakers, I spend a lot of time on vocals and unamplified instruments. I don't think about the drivers. I feel the music. 

This is a nice escape - feeling music. I spend too much time in the objective world of running and consulting in the auto industry. When it's time for music, all I care about is the system that takes me "there".