Ownership and Review of a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder

Greetings all - I recently ordered a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder speakers, or SSC-4900's. They are in the middle of the Ohm Walsh lineup, and are about 38 inches tall and the cylinder cabinets about 12.5 inches in diameter.

Specs are listed at 88 dB for a 2.8 V input, and a response curve of +/- 3 dB from 25 to 20,000 Hz. 

This whole process is part of a "high end, high value, USA made two channel system" thread I started a couple of months ago on another forum. The electronics are the PS Audio Stellar Gain Pre-amp/DAC and a pair of PS Audio M700 mono amps.

The PS Audio equipment has already elevated the Axiom M100's and Martin Logan Electro Motion ESL speakers in terms of performance. The Axioms have a "twin" available in Brick and Mortar outlets from Bryston called the A1's. 

For reference, other speakers which we have or still have in house include: Klipsch LaScala II's, Legacy Signature SE's, Infinity IRS Sigmas, Ascend Sierras, PSB Strata Goldi, VMPS Super Towers and a host of other speakers. 

The Ohm Walsh speakers have been something about which I have read since 1977 (the year I got the audio bug), but have never had the chance to experience. The SSC-4900's sell for $4900 per pair, though the name and pricing are coincidental. The "4900" is due to the idea that the speakers are "almost a 5000", but with less controls - one switch vs. 4 for the 5000, but also a lower price.

John Strohbeen, who is he president at Ohm and who has been with them for almost 40 years, was gracious enough to spend an hour talking on the phone about our room, the associated gear, and also that there would be a review thread. It was after this discussion that we decided on the SSC-4900's. 

I am purchasing the speakers, not getting a review pair. They are under the 120 day return policy. John is well aware that my daughter sings opera, my son is adept at classical guitar, and that live music is the reference. He was actually quite pleased about this. 

This will be fun (at least for me), and hopefully informative. Comments are welcome. 

I honestly have no idea what to expect from the Walsh sound. They are so different from other speaker designs that the only thing to do is set them up properly and hear what happens! 
craigsub
Not to be a spoiler here, but you should not be required to assemble speakers at that price point. They might sound great, but the assembly process would ruin the entire experience for me.
Rlb - All that is required is placing the driver "cage" onto the cabinet and putting in 7 screws per speaker. That part of assembly was less than 15 minutes. AND ... this is the only speaker in the Ohm line that requires this. The rest, with  more traditional "rectangle box", ship fully put together. Ohm is also working on the shipping issue with the drivers already installed in the cylinder speakers. They likely will have this resolved soon.
dep14 - the speakers are "toed in" so they cross now. That picture was just an initial shot with my phone just so people could get a feel for the size. We will be (if I can get my son to help) getting all the subwoofers and other stuff out of the way this coming Saturday and putting the speakers closer to the boundary walls as suggested by John.

The SSC 4900's are being evaluated within the 120 day time period. I have the option of returning them. On day 10, they will be set up in the optimal position, as will the PS Audio amps - we will be replacing the RCA's with XLR connectors and putting the amps on their own, dedicated stands from Pangea. 

Look for "good" pictures from my wife's (her obsession) multi thousand dollar camera. It's a Canon something. 

As the process continues, we will swap out the current 20 feet of 12 AWG wire for 6 foot runs of 10 AWG wire. 

After that, we will be adding the EP-800 subwoofer from Axiom. 
I forgot to answer about he veneer - yes, they are a real veneer now. Ohm will also send samples of different veneers to allow the customer a choice.
Looking forward to your reviews, particularly comparisons vs your other speakers as you have a boatload.

How is the bass response?  Do they have 10inch or 12 inch downfiring drivers?

Any idea what kind of woofer/tweeter are used?  was the woofer "exposed" at the bottom of the can? (take any pictures).