Mount up floorstanding speakers, should we?

Hi,

I tried to mount my Tannoy (floorstanding) Cheviots last week on bricks yet they sound very different, in a bad way. The sound becomes lifeless, much of the bass is gone, sound stage is missing, imaging is poor, almost everything has gone worse.

I wonder if it's wrong to mount a floorstanding speaker. They sit too low (concentric drivers centre at least 20cm below my ear level!)even I am sitting on my sofa and that's the why I need to mount them up.

Thanks
Chris
chris_9
Try tilting them back and see if that helps. Also, if you do need to raise them up, moving them closer to the wall may help restore some bass.
Chris, bricks don't work well under speakers and depending on where you
place them the sound goes from bad to worse. Lifting Tannoys 4" is
about ideal. the best solution I found is cans of food. Skinny ones work
better than fat ones. You got plenty of choices at your local supermarket,
contents don't matter as long as they're no taller than 4" and not too
wide.
david
PS Let us know how that works out for you!
the best solution I found is cans of food. Skinny ones work
better than fat ones

Now I know where the canned food market should go.
When do you usually replace them as they'd probably say open by _date_. Perhaps the most fresh ones can serve a-bit longer before they start to blow. The military meal reserve canned food can stay for decades if not more.
Czarivey, you must be a prepper😊. I know you're making fun but the cans are a quick and cheap solution to figure out the best height before deciding on a custom one. Or you can just peel the label and spray paint them black.
david