What are the best entry level integrated amps and speakers?

My daughter just got a new place and wants to upgrade her Best Buy based stereo system.  She is only interested in two channel stereo (good for her).  I told her if you're willing to get used equipment of high quality you'll get a better system like I did (Krell, Ayre, Revel).  We are looking for an integrated amp and speakers.  The amp should put out 75-100 watts.  She has enough room for floor standing speakers or something smaller.  So far I have researched NAD and Outlaw for amps and PSB for speakers.  What would you recommend?  I think the budget will be $1,000-1,500.

Thanks for your input.

128x128pipebro
Is the $1500 for both or each? Years ago I had a NAD receiver and it was excellent at its price but moving up to a used Ayre AX-7, for example, is a *big* jump sonically.

I told her if you're willing to get used equipment of high quality you'll get a better system like I did (Krell, Ayre, Revel).
So true. For about $2500 total, she could get used Ayre/Revel (maybe M20) combo that would be a killer system for a young person on a budget.
For that price range I'd go for a 2.1 setup with two bookshelves or standmounts and a subwoofer, you're going to get much better overall performance compared to just towers and an integrated that you're going to get in that price range.  

Some possible setups:

• Integrated:  Elac Element EA101EQ (40wpc into 8ohm, 80wpc into 4ohms) $615 @ Amazon

• Speakers: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 (4 ohms, so they'll be getting 80 watts) $449 @ Amazon

• Subwoofer: SVS SB-1000 $499 @ Amazon

• Total Cost:  $1,599 with free prime shipping
  • This is basically the system I run for my computer audio (I have an SVS SB-12NSD, but the SB-1000 is an upgrade on that, now available for the same price, I've been incredibly happy with it

Another Option:

• Hsu Hyrbrid 1 2.1 Package w/CCB-8 Speakers (includes Hsu VTF-1 Mk3 and two Hsu CCB-8 Speakers) $1,190 w/shipping

• Onkyo TX-NR757 Receiver $399 @ Amazon
  • Total $1,598
  • This is essentially the system that Dr. Hsu was running in his room at AXPONA, and it sounded amazing, doubly so for the price.  

Both sets of speakers are coaxials, which are typically great for imaging, and both offer exceptional performance and value for the cost.

Either of these will easily outperform a typical 2.0 system in this price range for a variety of reasons:

• Deeper extension - you'll never get the kind of bass from a set of $1,000 towers that you'll get from a real subwoofer
  • Proper Bass Management - Both the Elac Element and the Onkyo Receiver feature proper bass management with built-in crossovers and microphone-based crossover/level/phase adjustment.  This not only ensures a cohesive blend between the bass and the mains, but it offloads a lot of work from the amp since the bass frequencies are the most demanding of power, allowing the system to play cleaner and louder.
  • Better control of room modes - by separating the bass from the midrange/treble you can place the subwoofer where bass works best for the room and place the mains where they work best for imaging and soundstage.  
  • Room Correction - The room makes a big impact on the sound, and both the Elac Element and the Onkyo receiver will measure room effects and reflections and make the proper adjustments to the signal to account for room problems such as modes and errant reflections and deliver better sound.
I've gone the NAD / PSB route and while not bad and often great, the latest line of Yamaha or Marantz amplifiers sound better / smoother and ELAC or Paradigm speakers are preferred over PSB.  
Get a powered KEF LS50 and be done with. You maybe able to get one under $2k used.

I have 2 really great small systems that I expect to keep until the grave. One in the office and the other in the bedroom.

1) KEF LS50 passive + Peachtree Nova 150 integrated.
2) AUDIENCE - ClairAudient 1+1 v2 Bookshelf + Benchmark DAC3L + Benchmark AHB2 amp

The KEF LS50 is my favourite small speaker but the Audience speaker (2K) is incredible in the mid-range. They sound different.

#1) used is only a little over you price range. I bought both used for $2300. Though the price is likely lower these days since the KEF speaker is not the latest hot thing.

#2) is a lot more expensive, $7K. I just added it if anyone else was interested in a small office system.