HT Bypass on preamp

I'd like to ask if I'm reading this correctly. Can someone tell me on an Ayre or Pass Labs preamp when connecting a surround receiver through the HT Bypass input on the preamp, is the amp for the front channels receiving the signal from the preamp or the surround available receiver. In layman's terms is the sound coming from the preamp to the amp to the speakers or is the surround A/V receiver pushing the amp? This of course would matter for the preamp having much better sound than the A/V receiver. 
lnitm
My Musical Fidelity A5 Int Amp also has HT Direct that completely bypasses the preamp section and applies the inputs from my AVR preouts directly to the amplification section.

There is one benefit to this type of 'true' bypass as opposed to simple unity gain thru the preamp section.

IF you have a sub that has both LFE inputs and line level L/R inputs, you can have a sub for both AVR (with the sub output from the AVR to the LFE sub input) AND 2-channel (with preouts from my A5 int amp) without the need for swapping cables or some sort of switch in front of the sub.

I have this setup in my hybrid HT and 2-channel system; works perfect.
I don't see your setup being any different with unity gain or "true" bypass. What you are describing is the advantage of having 2 outputs - one amplified and one not. This situation relates to integrated amps but would be pretty rare for a preamp, as most preamps do not have 2 outputs.  In any case, the path the signal takes to the output should not matter. 

Plus, in the case of the 2 channel source, it seems like you are sending the low frequency both to your sub and to mains.
Yup - and I like it that way.  I've spend quite a bit of time doing listening tests and lows on both sounds better.

Even using a meter and test tone CD, I get a flatter in room response this way as well.

ymmv