I had a 555 ii and never warmed up to it.  At higher volumes, it got thin and etched sounding.  I replaced it with a Classe 10 amp.
For the price it is probably a very good deal.  His comment that "The B&K amplifiers, as I have often said, sound tube like" makes me think that he have never heard tubes before and I take that as a poor description.  IMO SS that sounds like tubes means that they sound more dark, and soft sounding unless it is First Sound.

Happy Listening.

Some great amps are being mentioned on this thread. I still pick up some of these to tune with.

On the B&K ST140, if you were lucky enough to get Steve’s design of the amp (first 6 months of production) you will see why people said it was one of the best amps for tube sound of it’s time. And the other major plus was how well it mated with the excellent sounding preamps of the day. Stan Warren also did a nice job with his 220. The list of amps during that time I would say were among the very best HEA ever offered at any price. Names are floating through my mind by the scores.

On the 535, I think most here have nailed it’s performance. I think this is the best product Adcom ever produced. The 555 never made a dent for me, but when listening with AC I understood where he was going from his point of view at the time. Some times you have to be listening with the guy themselves to have them explain where they were going, and what they were looking for.

One amp that totally went under the radar, that I stumbled across as I needed something fast to plug in then totally fell in love with was the Marantz MA700 mono block. I’ve probably own 50 of these for myself and sold another 100 (maybe more) sets to folks. An absolutely killer mono block to tune. I think I used this amp in 3 or 4 shows. I also hooked up 5 or 6 studios with these.

As far as I am concerned this thread should live on forever so folks can learn about the golden age of HEA.

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

I see Adcom is having a bit of a renaissance on the forums lately, I find it rather encouraging that there are companies out there making good sounding gear at an affordable price. I have owned a gfa 555 and a 545 and thought the 545 sounded nearly as good as the upgraded Odyssey Stratos I had at the time.

A question about the B&K st140, is it true that it was a copy of a Van Alstine design?
In 1985, or thereabout, I owned a pair of Audioplan Kontra Punkt mini monitors ($500) that I heard paired with Threshold amplification. I could not afford Threshold then and from great reviews got the Adcom 535. Well, the 535 could not produce the stunning presence and focus that I heard from Threshold. So, a night and day difference between the two.
Kenny