How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
I don’t think you can look at it as a “level of quality”... instead it is more of a trial and error. I had an oppo 103 playing directly into my amp... it sounded good. I added a budget ( under $1k preamp) and it made a big improvement. Then I tried a nuprime dac9 as a preamp and it was a step backward. 

Bottom line, since lots of new equipment is returnable... and/or lots of preowned is resellable at virtually no loss... you have to try a couple preamps and see where it takes you. 

There is a reason why audiophiles are heading back toward integrated amps and receivers.

The sales pitch went...

Receivers

Integrated amps

Preamp & amp

Preamp & mono blocks

Sadly this is an upsell tactic more than a sound quality one, most of the time. Now that reviewer guilt selling has run it's course a lot of HEA folks are going back to Integrated Amps as their amp, and simpler speaker designing with less crossover work.

Your also seeing One Source systems coming back into play among the purist.

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

@erik_squires 

Absolutely right. I just built a shaping board into my new phono/pre, and it works a treat for digital. For the first time, I am truly enjoying CD's. We'll see if that lasts.