My first visit to AXPONA

I took the 2 hour drive from Milwaukee today to check AXPONA out. What an overwhelming experience. I posted a couple weeks ago about my system that I love but after being on this forum for a while I was wondering what I'm missing. This was my first chance to hear some really elaborate and expensive set-ups. After a 2 hour drive home and analyzing what I heard, I decided to give a hug to my system. My Infinity Kappa 8's and the rest of my $8000.00 system will work for me. Don't take this wrong, I would love to upgrade but with my financial situation I will live and enjoy what I have. If by chance I win some lottery some day I know where $100,000.00 would go. 
golden210
Great thread.  I would particularly agree with the general concept that higher prices DON'T have a linear correlation with performance.  There is certainly correlation in many cases, perhaps even the majority, but exceptions abound.  For example, I've seen two or more cases where the most expensive speaker in a manufacturer's line was certainly not (to my ears, anyway) the best sounding speaker in that manufacturer's lineup.
The room with the Magnepan 3.7i (6K /pair) sounded excellent.  Also the Neat speakers at $5K pair and the Whammerdyne room. (speakers about $6K pair, tube amp a couple of thousand)
There was a mention of the Vanatoo speakers on the other AXPONA thread, and I thought I would give them a shout out here.  I've owned the Transparent One's for a couple of years, and they are the best small active speakers I've heard, actually, to me ears, beat out my LS50's in some ways.  I'm very excited about the  new speakers coming this year which are larger than the T1's.  Check them out if you get a chance (and now with remote!).
I’ve gone to Axpona consistently for years.  I decided not to this year because I’m finished with abusing my hearing.  Restaurants are bad enough.  I don’t get why all the reps insist on ear-splitting sound levels in those small hotel rooms.  If that’s the way one listens these days, then by all means encourage young people to go into audiology.  Very soon there will be more work than they can handle.
Quintessence Audio had a room where they had many pieces of equipment displayed but they were using an Aurender A10 directly into a SimAudio Moon amplifier (might have been an integrated amplifier) into the small Wilson speakers.  Seems to me that the entire system with cables was well under $50K (perhaps, less than $40K... I don't know what power treatment and cables cost) and it sounded really, really great.  Yes, the more elaborate and expensive systems were better but it showed that ultra high end performance could be achieved without a 6 figure budget. I would never have known without asking that they weren't using the high end SimAudio Moon DAC and preamp with the 860 amp also being displayed which would have probably exceeded $75K.