Missing the forest for the trees

Something I've been reflecting about, of late. With time and experience, I've been pulling back trying to connect with and attempting to understand the larger picture.

Perhaps others have their unique stories and universal messages to share.

I request we keep the discussion positive and helpful. Thanks!
david_ten
Recently I have endured a 9 week ordeal with severe ear infection. During this time tubes were placed in both ear drums. As such, For the past 7 weeks, frequencies under about 300hz have been about 20 db down, tinnitus has been so loud I can't sleep. I has been a terrifying experience and has given me pause to look at a much larger forest, that of our amazing stereophonic hearing capabilities. Over this time I have feared never returning to normal hearing and it has been terrifying and heartbreaking at times. Please one and all be grateful for the amazing gift of basic hearing and cherish music over systems and gear always.!!

It’s such a great hobby and so full of personal passion that many hobbyist become tied to their system as if it were alive (like a close friend).
I like that. A lot. I think we can all relate. Having said that, I appreciate the forest for the trees.

And @bensturgeion, I sincerely hope your condition improves. I have a mild case of tinnitus and can only imagine what you're going through.

All the best,
Nonoise
Adjusting one’s priorities seems to come automatically with advancing age---each remaining moment becomes very precious, not to be squandered. So much music, so little time.

Music is an excellent therapy. I feel so sorry for those who cannot hear and enjoy it. I have had numerous operations resulting in metal in all limbs and back over 20 years. I now have cancer. All the way through, even in hospital, I have always taken my music and headphones. Just close my eyes and let the music take me away.

Or when I want it to pick me up, play something with a bit of thump (going back to 60's, 70's and 80's or certain legacy players latest, and I am alive and constructive.

Music is an expression of emotion. I love the pursuit of the components that will play music as good as I can afford.

Michael Green and others have stated points that are all so true. Listening to music and enjoying the experience that is true to oneself is the optimal end. There is no shame in making a sound system the best it can be. Upgrading equipment, tweaking, and other things can make the experience all the more rewarding. Continuous improvement is not a bad thing.
Example.....a friend had an Acura car. He was constantly adding performance parts and tweaks to the car to get the ultimate performance. In truth, he would have had the same performance in the end if he had just bought one model up in the Acura line. But, initially, he didn't have the funds to do that. That holds true for audio enthusiasts.
If I had the funds to explore audio equipment to the very end I probably would. Buying a Basis turntable for 1/4 Million dollars would probably be a little over the top.
Many years ago I thought the 8 track player in my car with 4 speakers (subs were not even thought of then) was the best system I'd ever heard. One night at a friendly poker game at some guy's place he fired up his stereo. The amp was a Dynaco he had built from a kit and the small bookshelf speakers weren't anything special (I believe the were Advents). The sound that came out of his meager setup blew me away. Mostly because he was playing music everyone loved during that time.
So, in the end it's all about the music we listen to. Sure, we all want it to sound as good as possible. But, in the end, it's all about the music.