why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
It would be advantageous for the humble scribe not to have posts referring to the humble scribe removed because of increased notoriety.
Human progress is slow, doubly so it seems when it comes to fraudio. Still, the debate about cables is kids stuff compared to other big questions that have challenged mankind.

Even when telescopes suggested different the idea that the planets and the sun orbited around the earth was hard to abandon. The perplexing problem of the holy Trinity has occupied our 'finest' minds for centuries.

The internet is awash with debates over a whole host of challenging propositions - were the Moon landings faked, is the Earth flat?, who was really responsible for 9/11, do vacinescause more harm than good,  who are our real puppet-masters? etc etc.

Before we all descend into irreversible paranoia, we still have one great resource left to us, namely our minds, and in the case is audio, our ears. That's what it comes down to eventually.

If you're looking for certainty, you're looking in the wrong place. You're welcome to read all you want but please apply some consideration first to what the motives might be behind the text.
Whoa! What? Geez, it’s getting deep in here. Need my hip waders. Good luck with all that. Get out much? Finally, someone who gdhal can relate to on his level. 👨‍🚀
^ Of course I can relate to cd318. If you read many of his posts throughout the forum, they are accurate, well written and devoid of sarcasm and nonsense.

Basically the complete opposite of your posts.