Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
As the designer, Jim received such invitations and did very occasionally indulge. Jim was private and work-oriented and did not enjoy schmoozing. He and Kathy attended Harry's 10th anniversary party with the reining who's who designers, and another home visit around the CS5. JGH was present at various home visits at Larry Archibald's home / office after Larry took the reins of Stereophile. I was farther in the background, generally working 100 hour weeks to make more speakers.
Well, your and Jim's hard work, endless hours of perfection, certainly paid off big time- tomthiel.

You guys have a dedicated following here and across other Audio forums.
Not every speaker company can make this kind of claim.
Hope Mr. Rob Gillum is well and having fun.

Happy Listening!

Danged tricky to respond to negative reviews if you're a manufacturer. Best just to cut your losses especially with someone like JGH. IIRC, Holt gave a tepid review to one of John Curl's designs (which was other wise widely praised) and it pretty much took the legs out from his company.

That said, Atkinson gave a rave review of the CS 2 2, so that might have canceled the negative press by Holt.

For myself, I use the magazines to help form a short list then rely my ears thereafter. The reviewers are wrong too often! And they rarely have much to say about value. There are many "mid-priced" (it's all relative in this hobby!) products that sound nearly as good, if not outright better, than the $$$ designs. Too many reviewers (Fremer and everyone at TAS) start with the price tag . . .
Hi, guys.

Running a lovely pair of 2.4s with a Rega Elicit R (105w/8ohms, 162/4ohms).

I really like the accuracy and rather flat response of the 2.4s but finding I need to turn up the volume to get a decent ‘clarity’ from them. 

I prefer running at lower volumes as I live in a flat, but I find they sound quite
muddled at lower volumes, but not always. For instance, midbass is just nonexistent below 11 o’clock volume level. 

my question being- would they sound any clearer with a more robust amplifier or is that only an issue at higher SPLs? Just not understanding the relationship between ‘high current’ amplification and listening volume. 
I need to turn up the volume to get a decent ‘clarity’ from them.

Could be many things including your listening preferences. Could be that is the sweet spot for your gear. I’m running an Ayre AX-5 which has the same signal/noise ratio regardless of volume setting. But most preamps have a "best" sounding volume. Regardless, I’m reluctant to ascribe the effect to the Thiels.

BTW, stay tuned to this thread over the coming months. Tom Thiel is working on upgrades for legacy Thiel crossovers. The cs2.4 will be among the first tackled. The idea is to have DIY kits and/or upgrade service available through Coherent Source Service (Rob Gillum’s Theil service company). I expect these will bring sonic performance to a new level.