New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
FWIW, I've decided to buy a lightly used Audio Research Reference CD8. I buy quite a bit of used equipment. If I don't love it, I can usually resell and not get bitten too badly. I do want to hear a Hegel Mohican. When I find one at a discount, I'll give it a spin.
twoleftears

TEAC/Esoteric can be hit-and-miss as well. There are rumors that the older spinners SA/DV series, no longer, have critical parts/drives?
Esoteric is not known fro their customer service either? At that level and price they should be in my opinion.

Happy Listening!
Nice choice! imgoodwithtools.

regarding ARC, I have auditioned , the CD5, CD7 and CD9.

Happy Listening!
As above, Bryston, should have stock-piled those Philips L1210 CD drives.
Poor judgement from a company that has been around long enough to know better.
Thanks jafant! Here's my logic, since all players I've heard about I haven't heard. I'm buying blindly. 1. Marc Mickelson at The Audio Beat gave it a very favorable review. I trust Marc's judgement. 2. I own an AR Ref6 preamp. It sounds Great, especially paired with my D'Agostino S-250 amp. 3. I had an aftermarket tube arc and blow up my Ref6 about 6 mos. ago. ARC fixed it for Free. Free. Even though I bought it used, and I decided to try an aftermarket tube. 4. ARC has the reputation for offering complete service on obsolete components. And 5. Both the company and the unit have a strong enough reputation that if I don't Love it, resale should not be difficult.

Now here's the problem. You Know when it comes I'll have to hear what it sounds like in my Big Rig. Then, what If I Love it? Then I'm back in the market for a CD player. Lol