New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
@jafant  Well, the BCD-1 came out in 2008, and Bryston chose a Philips L1210 CD drive, a reasonable choice at the time I think.  They still to this day support all other parts of the '1, but the supply of drives has dried up--about a year ago.  @trelja Given Teac's connection with Esoteric, doesn't that drive carry a very good reputation?
There will always be unintended industry mistakes & exceptions.
I don’t buy a top cd player and contemplate those things.
My purpose was to discuss a new experience with Hegel Mohican
I don’t know first hand if other companies have attained similar level of improvement.with redbook.
I’ve been trying cd players since 1984 and regulary tuned out after a short time.
Being a musician guess I wasn’t satisfied with digital products.
I know when timing cues are accurate/drums+bass are authentic.
My only similar reaction was Linn Ikemi & briefly Sondek cd12.

FWIW, I've decided to buy a lightly used Audio Research Reference CD8. I buy quite a bit of used equipment. If I don't love it, I can usually resell and not get bitten too badly. I do want to hear a Hegel Mohican. When I find one at a discount, I'll give it a spin.
twoleftears

TEAC/Esoteric can be hit-and-miss as well. There are rumors that the older spinners SA/DV series, no longer, have critical parts/drives?
Esoteric is not known fro their customer service either? At that level and price they should be in my opinion.

Happy Listening!
Nice choice! imgoodwithtools.

regarding ARC, I have auditioned , the CD5, CD7 and CD9.

Happy Listening!