Music reference/ audio research / vpi

Looking for suggestions. Have a Music reference rm-200, and an audio research LS 16. Also have a VPI classic 4/proteus transfiguration. Wondering how the RM – 200 would match up with an audio research ref 6, an audio research ref 3 phono, And maybe Ariel acoustic 7t, or Devore gibbon X? Looking for suggestions. Live in the sticks with very little opportunity to audition much of anything!  While I love my audio research, sometimes I wish there was just a bit more tubey richness.  The Gibbons are supposed to have a more organic sound I’m told…? The phono three should be more compatible with the transfiguration…My phono 5 is not compatible…Trying to develop a plan and go at this one piece at a time… Also wonder about the vac 300.1…? Would think the ref phono three should be my next purchase…?
128x128fanotunes
Thank you, pdreher. for your suggestions/feed back. Swapping out the KT-88’s might be an option too? And still thinking the Audio research reference 5SE or 6, with a reference phono 3 would be a nice preamp for me here.  I may have to wait for the prices on those come down a bit though! Regards!
I'd use RAM KT88's and maybe play with some NOS signal tubes, then upgrade your preamp to something from CAT, Aesthetix or go up the Audio Research food chain. 

Well, bought the Harbeth's and then promptly left for 3 weeks on the road...sheesh! Couldn't wait to get home and have a listen. Still moving them around in the room a bit but....WOW! so much more open, organic, sense of ease....did I say wow? WOW! :)

PD, do you have a suggestion on signal tubes and a source for same?

The signal tubes for the RM-200 need to be very carefully matched and balanced for the circuit. Roger is the only one who can get it perfect so you should consider RAM tubes as your source.

I work with Roger and am currently using his personal RM-200 with a set of his ESLs. So I know how difficult it is for him to match up those driver tubes and the results of using tubes from other vendors. As reputable as these vendors are, they can't get it as close as Roger can. You would have a lot better experience in my opinion swapping out the KT-88s for 6550s, GEs in particular.
For premium tubes, I recommend you call Andy at Vintage Tube Services 616.454.3467.

He's probably the most knowledgeable and trusted retailer of premium quality tubes.   My only word of caution is that he is a one man show, so it can take several weeks to get your tubes, but you won't be disappointed.

How big is your room and how far out do you have the speakers from the front wall?  My room is 16' wide x 26' long, with the speakers on the short wall, 4' off the front wall to the speaker grill and approximately 7' apart, both angled in to the listener seat, approximately 8'6" from the front of the speakers.  

If you don't have room treatments, I'd address that before you upgrade any tubes or buy a different preamp.   I highly recommend GIK Acoustics... good products, good advice, reasonable prices and excellent service.