Phono Preamps with "balls" ?

taking the cue from another thread about speakers with "balls" - what are some phono preamps that you have found to be the most powerful, dynamic and yet still sound clean.  
i turn on my digital sources and they are often much more robust sounding and would like to know if there are phono preamps that can deliver.  thanks in advance  
avanti1960
Thank @atmasphere for a very informed and informative set of posts (and on-topic too).
@ronh10    
Thanks for the suggestion but I literally do not have time to build the kit, although the idea of an MM only tube stage feeding a SUT is appealing.  
Any experience with the Decware ZEN ZP3 or the Icon Audio PS2?  
If you're considering an SUT in conjunction with a MM phono stage, then you might also consider the Zyx Cryo Pre-preamp. It is definitely ballsy. The latest update (v.2) increased the gain over the previous version.  It's a marvelous step up device in my opinion and doesn't have some of the drawbacks of transformers (less fussy about cables for instance). Not cheap again, but compared to a good SUT I think it's actually fairly reasonable.  
Any Naim phono stage would get you solid sound with great PRAT and rhythm. Naim is one of the very few brands who get the PRAT right without thinning out the body of the music. A Stageline with Hicap DR would be superb.