New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
I would think Hegel know what there doing+R&D put into this player.
I know 5K is alot but get what you pay for especially compared to 20K+ players.
We can list reasons & fears not to purchase but end of day it's because can't afford it.

monkandmozart

Thanks! for the Hegel brief. This one is on my list to demo.

Happy Listening!

I will be 55 years old in September. I go to work. Half of my job is dealing with computers. Will not connect to internet. Over. And over again. Where is the Tech Support guy? Password. After password after Password. I can’t remember them all. When I get home, the Last thing I want to feel is that I’m at the discretion of a computer. I want to spin a disc. Large or small. Relax. Close my eyes. Relax.

@trelja As the owner of a BCD-1, I can attest first-hand that Bryston stands behind their products way after the warranty period has expired. Unfortunately, the transport they used in that is now NLA. For the BCD-3, they chose the StreamUnlimited JPL-2800, which as I understand it, is also to be found in dCS products. Interesting, for their brand new similarly priced unit, the CD35, Primare chose TEAC, specifically the CD 5020A-AT, which also has quite a pedigree. BTW, do you have any info. on where Primare is manufactured?  A quick Google search turned up little solid info. but some talk about both China and Taiwan.

@imgoodwithtools Your last post made me smile...
So I posted this...using my computer.
Now I can relax.
Peace
Al