New or Old CD Player?

Let's say I have $5K, tops, to buy a CD player. I don't need digital inputs, outputs, etc. I don't need to spin SACD's. I only intend to play Redbook CD's and want a one-box solution. Would my money be better spent on a new unit, like maybe a Hegel Mohican? Or should I buy a component that was close to state of the art a decade ago? Like maybe a Simaudio 750D, or an Audio Research Reference CD8? Thoughts?
imgoodwithtools
Get an old one. Oppo was making some decent disc spinners but they are getting out of that business. It might be a sign of things to come. If it were me, I would look for an older Sony ES model, Esoteric, or even a PS Audio. You might find a new old stock unit from Sony like the 5400ES. That might be a great idea and run out the digital cable to a really good DAC, like the Ayre Codex.
Iamgoodwith tools. here is in our opinion a better solution.

Most people today are abandoning spinning media in favor of stored hard drive library or straight Tidal streaming.

If you really want to spin a CD Numprime has or is just now launching a $1,200.00-$1,500.00 CD spinner that also upconverts to psedo high res and then feeds that signal to its own internal dac or can send the signal to an outboard dac.

Then invest the majority of your funds into a state of the art dac.

Or use a ripper/sever such as an Innuous server which can rip you cd/store your library and access Tidal. 

Or lastely send out your CD library to a ripping service and store the files on a high quality server like the Innuous Zenith and you won't need to ever spin a cd.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ

Thanks for the feedback thus far.
I was quite specific in my question because I currently have both a Berkeley Alpha Ref 2, and a T+A PDP 3000 HV in my main rig. I don't intend to throw away my CD collection. I am looking for a one-box CD solution to drive a headphone rig on a different floor of my home.
FWIW, I had an Esoteric K-03X for awhile.
It was a bit too lean and clinical, IMO. I much prefer the T+A unit.