Shiit Loki

Not many reviews yet so here ya go.

Bought one of these things because, as with lots of Shiit gear (none of which I owned…yet), it seemed relatively inexpensive for what it claims to be (also ordered a Freya but they're not shipping those for another week or so…hope I like that thing).  Like many Followers of the True Audio Geek Path I also have zero tone controls in my rig except maybe the levels on my subs, and that works for me "generally." However, some stuff needs a little adjustment and, well, I figured the Loki might work. So...It shows up yesterday, it's cute, I stick it between my preamp and amp and start looking hard for issues. The thing (in my reasonably noise free rig with good quiet cables, filtered power supplies, a Humbuster III…you get it) is dead quiet, even if I shut it completely off which they don't recommend…flip the bypass switch instead. This thing does exactly as described with four well selected bands of boost or cut and, again, no noise when switching it off and on. Amazing gizmo, built like a tank…the only mod I made to it was applying a little green magic marker to the somewhat too bright LED (hope that doesn't void the warranty). This thing makes low level listening mo bettah and, for example, I'm able to get more sparkle from a fave LP of Little Feat's "Last Record Album" that has a reticent high frequency content (always has)…the last knob on the Loki is a great cymbal revealer…all good…a very well done thing. You go Shiitsters!

wolf_garcia
Wolf, I totally agree with all the comments you made regarding the Loki. You really nailed it and I can't think of any other additions to add.
I do have a question for anyone using the Loki; On some rebook CD  recordings when I add the Loki and sometimes tune it for a specific CD I have actually noticed a more holographic soundstage. Has anyone else experienced this?
@lak totally!

I got one at the recommendation of fellow a’goners to help boost low db listening in my living room. I put it between my Rega Planet CD player and Rega Brio-R and I absolutely love it. I actually leave it on all the time since I rarely listen at more than 65db in that room - when everything is warmed up it can definitely produce a holographic clarity. And I rarely feel the itch to turn up the volume to hear “better”. 

I wonder if some of the improvements people are hearing is due to the Loki Mini’s input and output impedances (47K Ohms and 75 Ohms respectively) benefitting the preamp/integrated amp. It’s acting like a buffer stage. Maybe.

Tom

The reported "improvements", or at least effects on the system, are happening when the thing is being used…I’m not sure if anybody has reported benefits from it just being there in bypass mode. I haven’t noticed any effect on my rig at all when it’s off, or bypassed…I leave it on when bypassed as I assume do most owners, although with mine the signal will still pass through if you turn it completely off which Schiit has said doesn’t always work. One thing I haven’t done is to just take it out of the system completely as the thing has been there since it was added last year…I’ll try that today if I remember. I stumbled upon a Steve Guttenberg Youtube review of the Loki recently and he seems to like these things, especially with headphones.
Since I haven't unplugged the Loki since I bought it I used my trusty iPhone "Sound Tools" level meter today to see if the Loki had any effect in the system level just by being there…using both music and test tones it seems it doesn't, or at least not a measurable difference with a simple meter…and music seems exactly the same with it in or completely out, as well as in and bypassed with its own switch.