Any Members Tried the Audio Interface CST-80 SUT?

My curiosity got the better of me and I just bought this SUT from Japan and wondered if anyone else had any experience with it. The very little I could find seemed to indicate it is a respectable unit and has even been likened to the highly acclaimed Cotter SUT.

It was made in the US around 1982 and came in two varieties. There was a 3 Ohm version with 30dB of gain and a 40 Ohm version with 20dB of gain.

I currently use a Fidelity Research FRT-4 which is excellent and has 4 different taps 100 Ohms, 30 Ohms, 10 Ohms and 3 Ohms + Pass Through for MM.  It will be interesting to see how it compares the FRT-4.

I will use it with my 1.0 mV / 60 Ohms Shinon Boron Red which currently uses the 100 Ohm tap on my FRT-4.

ateal
You promised a review, and delivered on that promise — a thoughtful and thorough analysis. May I ask what information appears on the CST’s case? Mine only says “CST-80 / II H” — and a serial number “40 1003”. Not much to go on. Maybe the spaced-off “40” in the S/N means 40ohms, which would mean 20dB gain.

But it handles my FR1Mk3F’s 0.14mV easily — in fact, with the volume on my preamp at only 8 o’clock, it’s blasting. Your 0.2mV Spectral should be fine — though its impedance is wickedly low.

Your dilemma is superior SQ (though not by much) vs Versatility. If you’re like me, I’d go with versatility... but always feel something’s missing, now that I know what’s ‘not there’. I’d always miss that extra ‘something’ and inevitably go back to the CST. But you have two great SUTs, and that’s not a bad dilemma to have. Our pursuit of the divine in music is fraught with dilemmas.

You can buy, or make, a switch-box to handle more turntables — but will that degrade SQ? A bit, probably — the FR’s switching capabilities may account for it’s slightly lesser clarity.

Even though its captive leads are old I’m sure they’re good (it’s FR after all; they used silver coils in their MCs at the time). I’m not sure replacing them with RCAs would help. At least the old leads are a direct signal path — yes, you could use “better” ICs, but chopping the signal up with additional solder-joints and plug connections might nullify any benefits a “better” cable could give you.

You’ve probably seen this review/lab-test of the CST when it was produced; it contains thorough data:

http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/audio_12-1982_audio-interface.html

The site is also an archive of old reviews of serious equipment, fun to leaf through...

PS — No need to apologize for the long post — it wasn’t long enough! I'll be very keen to read your further ruminations and conclusions...

Hi bimasta, thanks for your kind words. Mine did not come with any box or literature but the sticker on the bottom states CST 80 40 Z which is the same as yours, 40 Ohms / 20 dB gain.

It’s funny that I too have the FR1 MK3F which is currently fitted to my other turntable so I will definitely give it a try this weekend and see how it sounds. For this cart I typically use the 3 Ohm tap on the FRT-4 which has 31 dB of gain and a 1:36 turns ratio.

I will also probably provide a further update once I put in some hours and do some more A/B comparisons with more diverse music genres.

Watch this space:)
I've learned quite bit through our conversation, Ateal, and thank you for that. I'll most certainly "Watch this space..."

Well it has now been a month since I received the Audio Interface SUT and I am still very impressed with the level of detail retrieval the SUT provides.

Whilst the FRT4 SUT is an excellent performer and is super versatile, the Audio Interface SUT has taken my music to the next level.

Things that have stood out in the past month have been the "unmerging" of certain musical combinations. For example where there are passages of music that have a number of instruments playing in close proximity to each other, the Audio Interface appears to pull them a little further apart so they each have a little more separation and because of this, each become clearer and more distinct.

Also vocals have become a little clearer. For example I have listened to the Vanessa Fernandez song “Be Thankful for What You Got”, hundreds of times and never really focused or over analyzed the exact lyrics. Because of this I always subconsciously thought one of the lines was saying “TV enters in the back”. When I played this track the other week I was in my usual relaxed state and not over analyzing anything about the track, but this time to my surprise I heard something different and that was “TV antenna in the back”.

I know this is embarrassing to admit and I obviously hear it now with both SUT’s and even in the You Tube video, but it was the Audio Interface that made it so obvious.

The one other thing that it does a little better is revealing very subtle details that are not as noticeable with the FRT4. Subtleties like the breath of a saxophonist in between notes, the very tiny triangle note in a complex musical arrangement, the distant cough from the audience in a live performance, etc, etc.

I think if you are a fan of classical music then this SUT would be very hard to beat as it would pull apart very complex music arrangements and subtle details that are so common with this genre and provide a very dynamic performance.

The only down side is, that with some harsher recordings you may want a slightly more mellow and veiled presentation as too much detail retrieval and transparency can be slightly fatiguing. I have only noticed this with a couple of records and for 99% of the time it is not a problem.

In summing up I have now come to the realization that the initial amplification of a Moving Coil cartridge is one of the most important aspects of vinyl playback and should be given as much attention and investment as the cartridge itself. Whether you choose passive or active pre-amplification I believe you must spend as much as you possibly can to make sure the signal from your very expensive cartridge is not degraded in any way whilst on its way to the phono input of your main amplifier.

I am so impressed with the Audio Interface CST 80 SUT “H” that I have managed to find and purchase for a very reasonable cost, the very rare 3 Ohm “L” version for use with my very low output moving coil cartridges.

In summary I wholeheartedly recommend this SUT to anyone looking for a high end MC phono stage.

That’s if you can find one :)

As I was searching for more info on this SUT today I came across this review from Audio Asylum in 2006. It pretty much sums up my own findings.

This is the mc trans believed to contain jensen trans', and actually may have been bought by the Jensen company. I got it used from Audio Directions in Honolulu for a very good price, with a very long trial period...the owner is that way. He deals alot with CJs, VTLs, and Quicksilver amps. He also deals with Hagerman, who is also based in Hawaii. If ever in Hawaii, check it out. He has stuff piled up all over the place. I am in no way affiliated with Audio Directions. Just a happy customer of a few years.
I introduced the cst first to my technics sl1500mk/denon 103/project tube box/leben cs300/fostex 126e system, and to put it shortly, all the good stuff came shining through...more background details, more sense of air and space, authority from top to bottom. base got deeper and punchier (yes, even thru the single drivers). just alot more ease and drive to the music. All the good stuff we love about music through vinyl, but MORE!
But, I didnt have too long to assess the AI in my technics system because I immediately set up my newly arrived Garrard 401 with the rega rb300/expressimo weight with cardas wire upgrade.
Getting the Garrard set up needs another post entirely, but lets just say for now it was like waking up an old car....it needs tlc, a couple of slaps, a few drinks, a massage, and it needed to run upside down for a little while...I aint kidding. OK. Now the AI is extracting what the 401 can do. With the 401, Sam Cooke stepped into my living room. His tonal inflections are living and breathing, the band filling my whole room. With the Garrard, the best word I can sum it all up on is "visceral".
What does this mean? i guess it means the Audio Interface gives you more of what you have...brings out the latent image, sort of improves your "hearing".This is my first experience with mc trans', so take it for what its worth. I am just excited with all my new additions, so maybe its hard for me too make a clear assessment, but it sure is FUN, and isnt that its all about anyway?
aloha!!