Missing the Old Days

I’m new to the higher end audio game. What I don’t know about modern audiophile technology and doctrine could fill a library.

What I do know is how I like to listen to my music, which I’m quite sure would make some crinkle their eyes and squint at me with a look of “my lord son, really?” Kinda look lol.

My first foray into good speakers are my current Goldenear Triton 5’s and my JL D108 Sub. They sound nice....very nice...but they just don’t sound the way I like. So now I’ll soon hook them up to a Parasound Halo A21/P5 which I’m sure will improve the sound.

However, I’m aware that it still may not deliver the goods for me personally. I miss the days of those big, solid, powerful speakers that’d shake the dust off your shelves and make the squirrels living in your my attic fear for their lives. 

I miss my trusty old MTX AAL 2230’s. They weren’t fancy, they certainly weren’t overly detailed, but they kicked ass. They kicked a lot of ass. Where are the speakers that can deliver big sound, driving Bass and clarity without the need to run 1 or 2 Subs? Speakers that are powerhouses without costing 10, 15, 20 thousand or more? There used to be a time when you could go to any number of local Stereo shops and have multiple choices of all ranges of speakers and equipment. I have to drive an hour or more to find any store remotely close to that.

I’ve seen Tyler Acoustics, but I’m Leary. No dealers, only direct sales, very generic specs, and hardly any reviews anywhere. I’d like to hear a few of his models, the cheaper Halo 1’s that closely resemble my beloved MTX’s just look like a white van special Speaker with those shiny black woofers.

Maybe I’m just an old Deadhead stuck in the past, but if there are speakers like this out there that are quality and don’t cost as much as a car, I’d love to hear about them!
128x128bigjohn9095
Another JBL 43xx vote
will never go wrong 
larger ones are 44series
All properly measured and described in detail 
You sir are no different than anyone else here. We all like what we like. Enjoy your journey and remember to have fun! Joe
I's second the Klipsch, especially the new Forte III. They can really rock yet are very detailed...

The JTRs can do refinement, here's a video of the baby JTR towers, and, yes, I know, you're not going to get the full effect via YouTube played on computer speakers, but you can still hear the 'live-ness' and detail of the sound.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J8IyZ6idxQ

The JBL stuff can be great too.  Their new LSR7 Series powered speakers can also rock out, and they measure better than many of the older 4300 and 4400 speakers.  Plus with the built-in amps, it's one less thing you have to buy.
Hey get yourself a Pair of Bose 901s and a carver pre amp and carver 250 wpc amp and bring the walls down ....lol.