JL Audio e112 or HSU ULS MK2

Hello everyone,
Trying to decide between dual JL E112s or dual HSU research ULS mk2. Price difference is big but what about performance? Does any have any direct experience with HSU subs? I’ve heard great things about HSU but never heard one in person.

I do 75% movies 25% music.
Thanks in advance.
danimaz

I don't know that the JL Audio subs are really worth $3500 over the Hsu.  Like Eric said, the E112 does not have room correction, so if you wanted JL Audio, I'd recommend looking at used Fathom (F112).

You could also look into the SVS 4000 subs:

https://www.svsound.com/pages/4000-series

They have a DSP/EQ built in that can be controlled from iPhone/Android.  It's not an automatic room correction, but it's better than nothing.  For the money, I think you will get a lot deeper bass and a lot more slam than either the JL Audio or Hsu, especially if you get the ported PB-4000.  It does take more space, as it is a 13-1/2" sub with a bigger cabinet.

Another issue with JL honestly is reliability. There are way too many people on Audiogon asking about service. My Hsu has never had a problem. 

Best,

E
@danimaz, I have a pair of the mk1 HSU ULS-15. They have been running flawlessly in my system for years. My usage is skewed more on the music side, but they have no problem handling deep movie frequencies. I have my pair eq'd using an SVS AS-EQ1. This Sub eq was only on the market a couple of years. If you can locate one of these in the used market it should not cost any more than $300-400 and total cost would come in lower than the JL pair with higher reliability. Like Erik, I've read of a decent amount of JL amp problems post warranty period.

The ULS is deep, tuneful, and a pair will load even large rooms with plenty of bass. The finishing (mine are rosewood) is top notch. I would recommend one (or two) to anyone.
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I have demoed the JL e-112s and they are really good but a bit on the expensive side. AXPONA 2018 is coming up in Chicago in about 2 weeks and HSU research will be there to demo their ULS 15. I gonna go and have a listen and share my experience here. 

I can’t speak for the HSU ($860 shipped), but I can tell you how the Rythmik F18 ($1530 shipped) compares. Keep in mind that the E112 is $1900 (not sure if including shipping).

The F18 gets louder throughout the entire passband. The F18 maxes out at 103.2dB at 20Hz and the E112 maxes out at 97.5dB, with 50Hz maxing out at 116.1dB and 114.7dB respectively. Remember that +3dB is a doubling of wattage, so the E112 would need almost 4x the wattage to get as loud at 20Hz. So, the Rythmik for sure wins in the headroom department. Keep in mind that room correction or DSP should be used with subwoofers, especially if not going dual.

Having clean bass means low distortion. The E112 stays below 5% THD from 30Hz up at 100dB. The Rythmik obtains the same feat at 110dB. The Rythmik stays below 5% THD from 32Hz up at 115dB, the E112 fails noticeably at even 110dB.

To have tight bass mainly means staying below 1 group delay cycle. Both easily do this; however, the impulse response of the F18 is better.

So, this all shows that the Rythmik F18 is much better than the E112 in basically every perceivable way, and for almost $400 cheaper.

Rythmik and HSU are very competitively priced for the given performance. So, I would say the HSU ULS-15 would perform near identical to the E112, at less than 1/2 the price.