Two Type of sound and listener preference are there more?

In our thirty years of professional audio system design and setup, we keep on running into two distinctly different types of sound and listeners.

Type One: Detail, clarity, soundstage, the high resolution/accuracy camp. People who fall into this camp are trying to reproduce the absolute sound and use live music as their guide.

Type Two: Musicality camp, who favors tone and listenability over the high resolution camp. Dynamics, spl capabilty, soundstaging are less important. The ability for a system to sound real is less important than the overall sound reproduced "sounds good."

Are there more then this as two distincly different camps?

We favor the real is good and not real is not good philosophy.

Some people who talk about Musicaility complain when a sytem sounds bright with bright music.

In our viewpoint if for example you go to a Wedding with a Live band full of brass instruments like horns, trumpts etc it hurts your ears, shouldn’t you want your system to sound like a mirror of what is really there? Isn’t the idea to bring you back to the recording itself?

Please discuss, you can cite examples of products or systems but keep to the topic of sound and nothing else.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
128x128audiotroy

Let’s say like this, type A is a Blond girl and type B is Brunette.

What about other girls ??? Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian etc. etc. :)

If you ask me, I would like to have them all :)

I love Music and I love a good sound, but A without B it’s not complete for me.

I have to have Detail, clarity, soundstage, Transparency, High resolution...........and to have all of this without "Musicality" it’s "mission unaccomplished" IMHO.

Thank you joc3021-- good points above with which I agree!
Your first one was about someone being in the mood, etc.
The second was walking into the confirming-biases trap.

To get out of that trap, the following has helped me:

Whenever a change is made in the system or gear, I listen always for increased nuance in HOW each and any note is being expressed, being phrased, being sung.
No matter the music, no matter the recording's quality, and relying on many recordings I've come to know really well, of one-in-a-million artist(s), often recorded live.

Then I ask if someone right there could hear 'that' when I pointed 'it' out? Not a judgment call.

As I was not at the original event, my reasoning is based on the following:

1. A one-in-a-million artist has included many nuances I have yet to hear.
  2. Artists know most of us can hear these nuances, because when they are practicing, the results are visible in all the nearby faces listening up close and personal- just as recording mics will be placed.
  3. Artists put in these nuances because whenever we do hear 'them', that helps us 'feel' whatever the artists are bringing forth.
So I think improving a system must include getting it to resolve more nuance, no matter the music or recording. It will be a more 'musical' system. 'Things', expressions, flow along better, which is a time-domain issue, not a tonal-domain issue for designers.

You wish these nuances to be obvious, to get your attention quickly, because this leads to feeling better soon, even when you're in a dour mood.

Thank you for following along. See any flaws in this logic? Let me know your thoughts.

Y'all have a great weekend!

+1 royj.  With new Benchmark DAC3 + AHB2 combo, in the background I hear instruments that used to be just "sounds".  Imaging is wonderful and dynamics/slam is beyond believe.  People assume that highly resolving gear is less dynamic - completely false.
What’s up with this one side or another camp? This is not an accurate representation of how life is. We know there are two definitive sides filled with the majority of opinions smack dab in the middle and I am not referring to just politics. There is absolutely nothing preventing you from assembling a system to have both attributes? I am positive that my gear does both. Tube preamp and solid state amps. There are shades of grey in between black and white.