Preamp: Parasound P5 vs Rotel RC1590

Hi everyone!

I have a choice to make between Parasound P5 and Rotel RC1590. Will be using them with Hypex NCore NC500 based monoblock amps and Focal Electra 1008be speakers. Will be using XLR output, and ht bypass is a must.

Out of these 2 choices, which one would you recommend ? Listed some of the pros and cons I am thinking of each model.

Parasound P5:
  • Many positive reviews
  • Subwoofer integration
  • True ht bypass
  • Looks visually better than Rotel.
cons:
  • No torodial transformer, switching power supply instead.
  • Motorized volume control. (possible lack of precise control at low volumes, harder to control via remote probably)

Rotel RC1590:
  • 2 toroidal transforms (1 is dedicated to DAC)
  • Built in DAC is of a higher spec.
  • Digital volume control
  • RS232 connection. I use home automation system (HASS). I could build a device to control the amp in anyway I want.
cons:
  • Fixed gain instead of ht bypass, would need to have balance set to 0 or compensate for it by AVR.
  • No proper subwoofer integration. However I can easily DIY a cross over filter and volume pot, to connect to sub. My sub has independent LFE and L/R inputs.

Now, I know that these items are priced very differently in states. But, in Poland, their retail prices are more or less identical. Rotel seems to be much better of a preamp for the money (speaking only of the components inside: http://www.rotel.com/sites/default/files/rc1590_guts.png). However, there are fewer reviews of it, very few user reviews. Features and spec wise,  RC-1570 or RC-1572 seems to be more comparable to Parasound P5 and they are much cheaper than Parasound here.

Some guidance would be very much appreciated.
denizpiri
I have Parasound P5 at home right now, scheduled to be returned on Thursday morning.

I realized that I made the big mistake of trying Rotel with it's internal DAC only and not using any DAC of my own (I don't have anything really good). Now comparing Rotel with Rotel's DAC, and Parasound with it's built-in DAC: In terms of SQ, Rotel wins hands down for me. Music simply is not nice to listen right now, no charm in it, no body in instruments, no air around them. It is like, someone sucked joy and life out of the music.

I am wondering if these might be related to only to it's built-in DAC or is it actually the preamp. If someone can share their opinion on this, I would be very glad.

Now onto the positives:
- Volume control is incomparable to motorized pot in the NAD c326bee I have. Dialing in low volumes is easy. Not as precise as a digital volume control of course, but still quite good. One negative thing I noticed is that, at lower volumes, probably because of channel imbalance, life is further sucked away from the music.
- Minimal noise in comparison to Rotel. There is still some, but very very minimal. This makes night time listening better, since I can actually hear things instead of background hiss. However as I mentioned, lower the volume goes, some clarity is taken away from the sound. I didn't observe this to this level in Rotel. Effect I am describing is beyond the expected effect of lower volume perception of human hearing, or speakers lower volume performance.
- HT bypass works very well
- Didn't try sub integration yet, but knowing that I can connect it very easily is a great thing.
- No annoying blue lights or anything. Only the Parasound logo is lit, and that is not disturbing at all.

I am thinking of experimenting with some passive preamps as well. Still in research phase :D

@ sfseay71 Did you have any noise problem when you had the Rotel RC-1590 ? And what DAC did you use with Parasound P5 ?

Glad to help, Denizpiri.  I'm puzzled at the background hiss you are hearing from either unit.  There is no way you should be experiencing this, but it has me wondering what the power grid is like in Poland where you are.  I also have not experienced any imbalance at low volumes, and that should be a deal breaker for you.

Is it possible that one or more of your line level cables are running along side of one of your power cables?  This could induce noise into the sound, but you may know this already!

As far as the DAC goes, the president of Parasound has said it's more of a convenience than an audiophile grade unit, so the Rotel should better it.  

Returned the P5 this morning, and got Emotiva XSP-1 from another dealer. Started trying Emotiva about 4 hours ago. Only advantage I can see with it is that it has almost no noise regardless of how close I get to tweeters. However, sounds really really poor. Bass is really slow, mid range sounds scooped, vocals are not focused. I was scheduled to return Emotiva on Tuesday, but I am taking it back tomorrow.

So far, Rotel RC-1590 > Parasound P5 >> Emotiva XSP-1.

Today, while returning the P5, I saw a PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC / Pre, asked a bit about it, later on checked it online. I will try to take it for home demo tomorrow and see how it sounds. Price wise it is somewhat better priced than P5, it is $1700 in US, around $2200 here in Poland, probably can get it for $2000.
Will read more about it now and see if it's feature set perfectly suits my needs.

I have had very similar results with several other Emotiva preamp/DACs.  They are just not good devices.

I think the PS Audio Stellar Gain will be the best out of all your choices.  It has a very large toroidal transformer and uses linear power supply for both DAC and preamp (no switching power supplies at all!!).  The Class A audio stage will be very high resolution and I think it will be a better match to your Class D amps, which tend to be very clean and somewhat sterile/flat.  I think the PS Audio will give you a lot more life and excitement in the music - much more engaging than the Parasound P5 or any Rotel option.

I'm afraid my experience with Emotiva was also not stellar. It was reliable, sturdy, and quiet. Sounded thin as hell. There was nothing really enjoyable about the sound quality. As some one who is always out bargain hunting, that was a big disappointment for me. 

I ended up selling it along with the upgrade card and switching to a Parasound P7 and Oppo BD player.