Need Some Assistance With Rega related Issue

A while back I upgraded the Rega motor on my TT. It is a standard Rega uprgade kit.

All was good for a couple of years - i.e. until recently when I tried to play 45rpm albums

The result was terrible - it never reached 45 RPM and experienced huge speed variations

I thought it might be the belt - so I ordered a couple of new ones which arrived yesterday

Although it was better after installing the new belt - it was still bad

I stripped down the TT - cleaned the Subplatter spindle, bearing, brass bearing housing and topped up with fresh oil.

No joy - still sounds bad

I had no problems with the old motorĀ  at 45 rpmĀ  - should have kept it - damn!

Since the speed is adjusted by the pulley - I think it rules out issues with the motor electronics? - because there is no issues at 33rpm - rock solid.

The only difference in load to the motor is an acrylic platter which is a little lighter than the glass platter it replaced.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Steve
williewonka
Your problem is a strange one. Pulley isn't slipping on it's shaft, is it? I use to own Rega 'tables and still like their designs. I think they used some sort of super glue to bond the pulley to the motor shaft.
@mr_m - THANK YOU :-)

Your post prompted me to grap the pulley while it was turning to see if it was loose...

If you prevent the pully wheel from spinning the motor shudders.

The shuddering from the motor was about the same frequency as the weird speed variations I heard when listening to 45rpm albums

I then remembered I had added some extra "mass" to the underside of the platter in the form of a layer of sorbothane to absorb platter vibrations.

The additional torque placed on the motor by using the larger pulley was just too much for it and the motor shuddered causing some crazy "flutter".

I removed the sorbothane and voila! - real 45 RPM !

Many Thanks - Steve
Sounds like you found the problem pretty much on your own. But if I had helped in anyway, then you are very welcome!
Cheers, and happy listening!
Tim