What is the preferred cartrige mm or mc and why

Curious to know why some audiophiles prefer a moving coil cartridge over moving magnet type. What determines this preference? Does the tonearm determine which type is preferred? Why? 
128x128gillatgh
@atmasphere 

to get the best out of MM its a good idea to load them correctly.

This the reason why people don't really understand the potential of MM cartridges, their phono stage has ONLY 47k Ohm loading. It must be at least 30-100K Ohm range to try different loading with MM. 
We just have a loading strip on our preamps so you can install anything you want (quite often with MM cartridges, a capacitance is also involved).
Quad had something similar with their earlier pre amps, with removable input boards for cartridges, and tailored boards for many well known cartridges of the day. The tape input board had adjustable settings for sensitivity, and I still use that to avoid clipping on the input by my Chromecast Audio. Peter Walker was a very practical designer.
@atmasphere Right, i use JLTi phono stage for the same reason with a bunch of different RCA plugs resistors. I just asked the designer of JLTi to change internal resistors to 500k Ohm, so i can load it down with parallel RCA plugs resistors to whatever loading value i want. I can do the same for MC cartridges with this phono stage.

On the other phono stages i just replaced 47k to 100k Ohm (Vishay Naked Foil) and it’s better for most of my MM carts.
MC because it sounds much better done right.I had MM 50 years ago then it was great but sadly its heyday is over.