Soooooooo many possibilities...!

Hello folks :)
Humbly request to tap into the vast experience and knowledge that is the Audiogonners history.
What preamp and/or phono stage would give a really nice soundstage, and sound, with my equipment?
Said equipment consists of a pair of McIntosh MC1000 amps, a pair of McIntosh XR200 speakers, and a Denon DP 59L turntable.
Audio Research Ref 6 has not sold me, and, wonder if something else out there may sound better...  Also, is an Audio Research Ref 2 Phono a good route to go?
Thank you:)
audioglow
Yes, Matt at Atmos-Spere confirms there is a remote.  For maybe 5 or so years now.  I must be reading older material.
Thank you gdnrbob
Atmo-Sphere MP-3 has no remote. Which would be nice.
We do have a remote.

Editing the website has become a nightmare since we changed ISPs.
With your Mac amps, be careful of impedance issues with many of the non-Mac tube pre-amps out there  --  for example the CJ ACT II is a great pre-amp, but did not play well at all with our MC452.  I ended up using the C2500 with the MC452 to very nice results (but you definitely will want to roll out the stock tubes that come with any Mac pre-amp).    

@audioglow

I have a Steelhead and am quite happy with it, although it is kinda goofy looking. The remote will only control the volume, and no other functions, and only in the variable output configuration. It is by-passed in the fixed configuration. As for the noise floor/hum issue that you asked about, I had issues in this matter when I first installed it in my system. I tried placing the power supply in different locations in my rack, re-arranged/moved cables, all to no avail. I finally located the power supply out of the rack, and on to the floor in front of the rack. Problem solved!! It is now dead quiet !! The umbilical is plenty long enough for trying different locations. I have a picture of my system on my profile here, if you care to have a look, and you will be able to see it's placement better than I can explain it.

+1 erik_squires
Always address the room first.
It will give you half of what you hear.
If you don't know where to start, read Jim Smith's book Get Better Sound.
I use Primacoustic panels and recommend them highly.
Don't spend another dime on gear until you nail the positions of the speakers and listening seat and treat all first reflection points.