Vintage DD turntables. Are we living dangerously?

I have just acquired a 32 year old JVC/Victor TT-101 DD turntable after having its lesser brother, the TT-81 for the last year.
TT-101
This is one of the great DD designs made at a time when the giant Japanese electronics companies like Technics, Denon, JVC/Victor and Pioneer could pour millions of dollars into 'flagship' models to 'enhance' their lower range models which often sold in the millions.
Because of their complexity however.......if they malfunction.....parts are 'unobtanium'....and they often cannot be repaired.
128x128halcro
Jp,
Hopefully you can make sense out of what Banquo managed to find...?

I can only add that all of Victor's other turntables have PLL controlled motors but only a few (TT-81 and TT-101) include 'bi-directional servo-control' in their descriptions.

If what you say is true about all PLL servos....why do you think this would be?
The Jvc Victor has patented this many years after the ceased production of the TT-101 81 and TT801 what sense does this have if it will probably not produce more important or top-level turntables?
He has never heard the Technics SL-1000R...
He has never heard the Victor TT-101....
But he KNOWS what they sound like and he KNOWS  which is better....

No Reviewer nor serious knowledgeable audiophile would make such uninformed statements.
But that is the 'cut' of the man......
Dear @banquo363 : The 71/81 came with coreless motor, you have a misunderstanding. The 71 has not bi-directional servo.

@halcro , wrong again Yamaha ( my hands are tired to gives you the same answer: wrong again and again. Please stop to post, enough is enough. You are totally wrong. From where you learned or I have to say ....) used Yamaha motors not JVC motors both are way different and measures different: 75db against 85db in the Yamaha. That Yamaha used the PLL mechanism too is not why the GT2000 is so desirable.

GT2000 is so desirable by its own Yamaha design merits that has nothing to do with the 101.  The GT 2000 can check its hands with the DP100, Exclusive P3A opr Technics SP10 MK3. The 101 is one more of the " bunch ": no matter what. Can you understand it? can you understand why are you wrong again and again? Can you understand that the " black thread " you think discovered was  not but a " black thread clown " ? It's a good unit well the Pionners, Denons Sonys or Technics are good ones and I'm not refering to the top of the line of all these manufacturers that  all are way superiors to the 101. Problem is that your world start and ends with the |101.

"""   which is a patented breakthrough in DD technology """ NO IT'S NOT, only in your mind. Dion't you read here that Denon did it along Yamaha, Pioneer and several other TT manufacturers? At least try to read what you read carefully ! ! ? ?

"""  but only a few (TT-81 and TT-101) include 'bi-directional servo-control' in their description .."""

wrong again, the 801 too and the Denons too stated bi-directional in their descrptions.

Masoquist never tired about.

@best-groove, is useless give/gave facts as the date patent  with @halcro . This gentleman just can't see/read/understand facts.
Her argued because he want to " win " when the subject here is not who win or lost but to understand what is happening " down there ". Easy.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
I don’t want to touch the argument about vintage vs new production DD Technics with a 10-foot pole. Nor do I even want to argue about which vintage DD turntable sounds best; all the best ones have avid supporters.

But, Raul,  I wrote that my DP80, like I guess all DP80s, was made to run on 100VAC. The seller (person who sold it to me) told me he had been running it at 120VAC. In other words, he ignored the labeling on the side of the chassis. (He was in California, where some rules of nature can be broken.) He even said it was running OK on 120VAC, but it was not. There was no evidence that the power supply had been deliberately modified in any way to work at 120VAC, although that might be possible to do. In fact, I always suspected that the malfunctioning of the control IC was caused by his subjecting the turntable to excess AC voltage. So, there was nothing out of the ordinary about my DP80.  I bought step-down transformers on eBay, one each for the L07D and the DP80.  Oddly enough, my TT101 does have the capacity to take 120V, 100V, and maybe even 240V, by setting the primary of the power transformer.  Someone else told me that there were a batch of 120V TT101s made to be sold at US military PXs in Japan, and mine might be one of those.