Question for tube aficionados

I have a vintage Conrad-Johnson PV 11 preamp.
 I’ve always re-tubed it  with the cheapest tubes from Tube Depot (e.g. Electro-Harmonix 12AU7 and 12AX7, Sovtek 5751 and the like.). I’ve been very happy with the sound.
 My question is:
 Would it be worthwhile to spend more money on more exotic tubes?
  Would there be any appreciable difference in the sound?
 I’m powering the system with NuForce Reference 9 V3 monoblocks.
128x128rvpiano
rvpiano, I want to congratulate you on taking the next step to audionirvana. You are in for some silly happy surprises, big grins, and perhaps even some giggling like a little girl-- like the rest of us -- when we find the right tube for the job!

I’ve used tubes for 10 years or so now in various uses in my audio chain. and like you, questioned the tubes abilities, and the higher costs of "better" tubes.

If you just wanted to jump into tubes and get something going soon, I would suggest just calling perhaps 3-4 tube sellers to ask them what they would suggest based on your particular unit (but make sure to call Upscale Audio- they are knowledgable, will help guide you, will ask you what you are powering, etc. In fact, when you buy tubes from Upscale on their website, you are required to type in the type of tube unit that you would be using the tubes for-- in order to make sure they match electronically.

Sovteks and EH are .... okay. But the next level up you will hear differences in sound... say to the Gold Lions, as they said above. But the next level would be like modern made tubes that are well-designed and manufactured with good Quality Control (like PSVane, modern Mullards, etc), then like the NOS tubes that dont cost an arm and a leg, at the entry level rung, and on upward. I always try to buy the entry-mid level NOS that have really "low microphonics" means that the tube should have been tested on a tube-testing machine to check its current condition. eg, Upscale does this, like tube depot, etc will write down the "matched" electrical voltages/etc of each tube. so you know you got a "matched pair", eg, when I bought 2 tubes for a preAmp, and when I bought 8 KT88s.
But what type of tubes are you looking to upgrade right now?

1grabber2,
Thank you for your input (also wolf_garcia.)
what do do you suggest, knowing what I have now?
Gold Lions?

Post removed 
rvpiano

To your question to Wolf, no you can sub in 6sn7s for 12au7s or 12ax7s

Here's the link to Brent Jessee' website (sells mostly NOS tubes) if you scroll down a bit to the yellow section where you see different tube types listed click on 12ax7 and it will bring up not only his list of available tubes but impressions on various respective brands; you can do likewise for 12au7, etc.  (Note: I am not Brent nor affiliated with his company other than as a customer) - Might be helpful. Also , if you call him , say Andy at Vintage Tube Services and tell them what type sound you are looking for they can steer you accordingly.