re capping

I hear the phrase 'recapping'. when do you know when you should 're cap' an amplifier? I have a McIntosh mc602 amp that sounds fine to me. I also have a McIntosh mx132 that works ok for me. I also have a bose 901 series 2 active equalizer that seems to work ok. the 'red' on light kinda flashes now and then. if my system sounds ok, should I worry about my units?
128x128g_nakamoto

the problem would be with the electrolytic capacitors.

Therefore, I would plan on replacing all the electrolytic capacitors with like value and size capacitors.  However, the number 1 priority would be the power supply caps.  They are typically the easiest to get to and replace ("typically").  The problem is finding the correct value and physical sizes that will fit within the allocated space and clamps (if used) available.

There are a few manufactures out there and a few retailers that will sell the large capacitors.  If you are replacing, then you really want new caps.  You can find NOS unused caps, but they would be just as old as the ones you are replacing.  However, they will not have been subject to the extreme heat from use.  They may (read should) be connected to a variac input first to reform them slowly.  But first try for new. 

Also, by-the-way, you definitely do need to look at the other electrolytic caps to see if they are demonstrating problems such as leaking also.

If, after inspection of the circuit board caps and the power supply caps there is no obvious issues, then take your time in planning the cap replacement.  no hurry here.

enjoy

Post removed 
@dweller A recent inquiry into the age of an amp, and my concern for the caps, resulted a response "we've tested the caps and they're all good". Is it possible to evaluate the condition of capacitors (other than working or non working)?
Because a capacitor must be removed from the circuit board (at least one end must be de-soldered and lifted) I view such claims as highly suspect. Notice that they never specifically state what tests were performed. Also, realize that an old worn capacitor may test the same as a new high-end capacitor if one is testing for capacitance value only, but the newer capacitor may sound much better.
Everything looks good and the amp sounds good but it's a 1987 and I don't know the history on it. I have a Chinese ESR meter and a regular capacitance meter and so far every cap I test has shown good. The amp has 4 36000uf 100volt caps that are too large to test on the meters I have. Is there any way that they can be tested easily? 
Absolutely replace your big caps. They are the one's that will do the most damage. You will also see smaller caps, in the range of 100uF to 1,000 uF electrolytics on each audio board. Those are also good candidates. Make sure to pay attention to the uF (same or slightly larger), V(same or larger) and temperature (higher = longer life) as wel.