speaker cable prices

I read plenty of articles on the demise of high end audio and have been an enthusiast for 40 years and worked at a high end retail chain for ten years back in the 90's. I still own several systems and buy and sell gear to keep tweaking my systems. Nonetheless I'm pretty shocked at the prices of cables in particular- I look for a decent pair of speaker cables to run from a Pass amp to a good pair of speakers and can hardly find a pair of 8 ft cables for less than $1000- most are commonly 2-3k for a pair of cables. 

Is it me or is this ludicrous? 

What are people buying for an average pair of cables ? Can a pair be had for $300?
128x128cowan217
Another vote for Duelund 16 gage. $10/m or $120 for a 10 foot pair. No need to terminate.  I have been very pleased with mine. There is a thread on Agon about it.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/duelund-dca16ga
abzrd, I’m afraid you’re not following me. I’m talking about any cable or fuse or cord, whether it’s the speaker cable, interconnect, digital cable, fuse or power cord. Any wire anywhere, transformer, internal wiring, anywhere. They’re all directional. In DC and AC circuits. Look at it this way. What’s easier, stroking a purcupine’s back in the same direction as his quills or against the direction of his quills?
Hmm, i’m not following you because you are mixing AC & DC & the rules of physics. If what you suggest was true all AC circuits would be wrong 50% of the time because the current goes both ways, if it didn’t the circuit would not work, period.

What you are suggesting is that ALL wire, including the wire in your home, inside your speakers, your amp, your pre-amp, etc for example has little arrows on it so the electricians know which way to wire your home, god forbid they have a "oh crap" we put the wires in backwards! The little arrows don’t exist because there is NO directionality in wire, electrons don’t know the difference!

abzrd, now I think you’re starting to see what I mean. Wires would be wrong 50% of the time. As regards the sound. That’s why Audioquest controls directionality for all their cables including their new line of power cords. Follow?

But let me correct you on one point. It’s not electrons that don’t know the difference (at least according to you), it’s the photons. Am I loosing you?

Back around 1990, I had a local cable builder make a set of speaker cables for me. He had a workshop out back of his house, and in it, were every connector made and sold (at the time) and looms of wire of varying gauge.

He simply laid out one cable, measured it, and then reversed the cable and measured it again. He did the same for the next leg and laid them so that they both measured similarly, in the same direction.

He then sleeved them and attached the connectors and the whole process was repeated again. He then applied the heat shrink and marked directionality on the cables.

He told me he was just making sure they oriented in the right direction.
He measured, and read, enough of a difference to justify what he did. I never gave it a second thought until I joined A'gon.

All the best,
Nonoise