speaker cable prices

I read plenty of articles on the demise of high end audio and have been an enthusiast for 40 years and worked at a high end retail chain for ten years back in the 90's. I still own several systems and buy and sell gear to keep tweaking my systems. Nonetheless I'm pretty shocked at the prices of cables in particular- I look for a decent pair of speaker cables to run from a Pass amp to a good pair of speakers and can hardly find a pair of 8 ft cables for less than $1000- most are commonly 2-3k for a pair of cables. 

Is it me or is this ludicrous? 

What are people buying for an average pair of cables ? Can a pair be had for $300?
128x128cowan217
Post removed 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Duelund DCA 16 or 12 gauge. $10 or $20 a meter. Replaced the classic Western Electric in my system. In the right system my opinion is they would compete with wire at any price.

LP
I work in an industry where the power cords (150 ft coiled) are too heavy to carry due to weight of the copper wire contained within. We have had to install connectors so they could be removed. ( thieves for copper value). These extension cords run between 1000 - 2000 bucks with Appleton 460v three phase connectors. Now think about your stereo looms and what we are being charged. I have experimented with lots of cables in my system and there are improvements/ changes in sound to be had but the prices can’t be justified IMO
In fact there are more and better high quality, well terminated and customer focused cable companies in Audio today than EVER before....
just look at the ten brands you have been given.... wow
and there is some good sounding wire in there...
plus most of the really high end firms offer a budget line or three... I also happen to like Audioquest type 4
i prefer spades for a gastight Connection but that is probably nitpicking....