speaker cable prices

I read plenty of articles on the demise of high end audio and have been an enthusiast for 40 years and worked at a high end retail chain for ten years back in the 90's. I still own several systems and buy and sell gear to keep tweaking my systems. Nonetheless I'm pretty shocked at the prices of cables in particular- I look for a decent pair of speaker cables to run from a Pass amp to a good pair of speakers and can hardly find a pair of 8 ft cables for less than $1000- most are commonly 2-3k for a pair of cables. 

Is it me or is this ludicrous? 

What are people buying for an average pair of cables ? Can a pair be had for $300?
128x128cowan217
I feel for you. I need 22 foot pairs of speaker cable and the cost is more than my first brand new car.  I paid 2500 for my first brand new car in 1971.  47 years later, that 2500 would be more like 5-6K.
Yes it is!

http://morrowaudio.com/

These cables are not expensive and sound "invisible" after a long break-in. I use the MA3’s and love them. I would try the MA4’s or MA3’s you will be impressed. Recommended!

Matt M

Depending on your speakers I would look at Nordost Red Dawn, Kimber or Cardas. You should be able to get a good cable for your system. Red Dawn is a great high entry level cable.

Cheers 
ok thanks, I'm looking for a simple pair (not a bi wire set up) about 10 ft long. Everything I see in the 300-400 range is either ridiculously short- like 3 ft- or a single wire. Pretty weird and frustrating. 

Looks to me like the market is ripe for some company to offer reasonably priced well made cables in normal lengths and in the 200-400 per pair price point....jeez...
I like the no-frills Audioquest Type-4 based cables built by Audio Advisor. I like them better than the factory terminated version because I prefer the low-mass BFA style banana plugs used by Audio Advisor over the bananas used by Audioquest. And they are less expensive. 

I think a 10 ft pair is about $120 terminated.

Personally, whatever speaker cables I buy or build myself, they will use the low-mass style BFA banana plugs. They are simply the best termination IMHO. I prefer them over spades (by a wide margin) and I like them better than bare wire.