Tower Records

This just crossed my radar. Founder Russ Soloman has passed at 92. A great lover of Music and the mastermind behind the Tower Records empire. R.I.P.
jafant
I would drive from San Jose up to San Francisco in the late-60's/early-70's just to go to the Tower store in North Beach. Lots of British pressings of current LP's.
I bought many CD's at the Stamford, CT Tower! They carried an amazing collection of silver discs: everything from classical to jazz and rock! Tower will be missed! I personally like going to a store for music shopping!
There was recently a documentary on cable about Tower records, mostly about the California stores and Russ's management style. How they opened their Tokyo store was very interesting. 

Ok - I found it.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3272570/
I liked that documentary as well! I used to spend a lot of time at tower records multiple stores on Broadway in NYC’s downtown village location. They even got into used LP’S at one point. When they got ready to close the prices were at a good discount and the store was crazy busy. It made me think that if the industry sold CD’s at 6-8$ Tower and other stores would have stayed open maybe 5-10 years longer.

One great memory was from that location was a band in store appearance I was part of. I was hired to make an hour long DVD peformance film/documentary for the Trachtenburg Family slideshow players and It was most likely the last in store appearance Tower ever did at that location.
Another +vote for the Tower Records Doc- very well produced.
I would not mind seeing more docs on the music biz/established record shops around the U.S.A.