Ownership and Review of a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder

Greetings all - I recently ordered a pair of Ohm Super Sound Cylinder speakers, or SSC-4900's. They are in the middle of the Ohm Walsh lineup, and are about 38 inches tall and the cylinder cabinets about 12.5 inches in diameter.

Specs are listed at 88 dB for a 2.8 V input, and a response curve of +/- 3 dB from 25 to 20,000 Hz. 

This whole process is part of a "high end, high value, USA made two channel system" thread I started a couple of months ago on another forum. The electronics are the PS Audio Stellar Gain Pre-amp/DAC and a pair of PS Audio M700 mono amps.

The PS Audio equipment has already elevated the Axiom M100's and Martin Logan Electro Motion ESL speakers in terms of performance. The Axioms have a "twin" available in Brick and Mortar outlets from Bryston called the A1's. 

For reference, other speakers which we have or still have in house include: Klipsch LaScala II's, Legacy Signature SE's, Infinity IRS Sigmas, Ascend Sierras, PSB Strata Goldi, VMPS Super Towers and a host of other speakers. 

The Ohm Walsh speakers have been something about which I have read since 1977 (the year I got the audio bug), but have never had the chance to experience. The SSC-4900's sell for $4900 per pair, though the name and pricing are coincidental. The "4900" is due to the idea that the speakers are "almost a 5000", but with less controls - one switch vs. 4 for the 5000, but also a lower price.

John Strohbeen, who is he president at Ohm and who has been with them for almost 40 years, was gracious enough to spend an hour talking on the phone about our room, the associated gear, and also that there would be a review thread. It was after this discussion that we decided on the SSC-4900's. 

I am purchasing the speakers, not getting a review pair. They are under the 120 day return policy. John is well aware that my daughter sings opera, my son is adept at classical guitar, and that live music is the reference. He was actually quite pleased about this. 

This will be fun (at least for me), and hopefully informative. Comments are welcome. 

I honestly have no idea what to expect from the Walsh sound. They are so different from other speaker designs that the only thing to do is set them up properly and hear what happens! 
craigsub
michiganbuckeye (Thanksgivings must be fun a your place :) ) ..

The 4900 will have more output in the all important 50-5000 Hz range, which is the primary reason for my decision. The M700 mono amps will deliver about 500 WPC into the nominal 6 ohm load, and based on the specs, should provide close to subwoofer level bass in this compact package.

The finish is Rosewood.

Here is the room:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/craigsub/dad1_zpsofm3sgw9.jpg[/IMG]

The floors have a thick pad underneath the also thick carpet, the walls are all 2x6 over block with insulation and the ceilings are acoustic tile. 

Behind the listener is a stairwell that is perpendicular to the length of the room, and it sets up the "dead" side quite well. 

For full disclosure, as we get into next winter (which I hate bringing up as we get close to spring), should the SSC-4900's deliver, we may move up to the 5015's.

I hadn't heard the OHM speakers for at least 25 years.  I recently picked up some old Pro-200's.

I'm pretty enamored with what they can do.  Particularly for a 1k speaker 25 years ago, and for their age.  I'm contemplating picking up a full 5 channel system myself.  I've been e-mailing and dialoging with John also.  Ironically, I'm also in Michigan.  

Now, I'm driving them with a pretty nice system, in a pretty good room.  But the signature sound I really like (big, big soundstage, good dynamics yet not bright).

I've kicked around the 4900's, but I may do the 5000's if I pull the trigger.  

I will say the cylinders are nice as they don't take up much floor space, yet sound huge.

dep14 - Please post additional information as you get it, especially if you pull the trigger on some new Ohm speakers for your system. 

What pre-amp / amp set up are you using? 
One if the guys at a audioclub owns s pair ,and said the parts quality is very chesp gor a dpeaker if thus price .i added sbout 
$500 in  upgraded capaciyors, resistors and inductors 
I heard them before and after with same equipmrnt 
The whole performance was night and day better a 15% improvement across the board  with ease .now refined and much better focus. Just look on Ohms site, it Google images.
I am not trying to be hard on them  but $7.00 capacitor a Really 
Even the drivers are nothing special.  He didnot change the drivers.
If you have them without question go for the better Xover parts .
I received a couple of emails about using a subwoofer with the SSC-4900's. As this process unfolds, we have a Power Sound Audio V-3601 and an Axiom EP-800. Both subs are powerful, with the Axiom being world class to 13 Hz in a sealed design with the "tight" bass audiophiles love.

We will have options to running the SSC-4900's full range with the PS Audio Stellar Gain, and also swapping the PS Audio pre-amp for a Marantz 7703 and crossing the system at 40 Hz.