VON SCHWEIKERT VR-1 OR PARADIGM STUDIO 20 V3

I currently own a pair of Paradigm Studio 20v3 but I am thinking of replacing them with the Von Schweikert VR-1.
The thing is that I don't have any access to the VR-1's to audition them. I am just going by some professional and consumer reviews saying that the VR-1's have better midrange and soundstage. Can anyone out there share his thoughts about these standmounts?
I would really appreciate any input.....
alfr
It's funny you should ask this. I just recently switched from Von Schweikert VR-1's to Paradigm Studio 20v3. I couldn't be happier with my choice. I didn't care much for the sound of the VR-1's. I thought they sounded very thin, uninvolving and just plain lifeless, and bright compared to the paradigms. I realize this goes against almost all the reviews out there. For reference I had the VR-1's hooked up to a Musical Fidelity A3 integrated amplifier and a Rotel RCD 1072 disc player. My cables were Transparent Music Wave plus, and then AudioQuest Type 4. I tried placement to see if that would help and it was to no avail. I was quite surprised when I listened to the Paradigms in my room. I've had many paradigms before. (Both v1 and v2 studio 20's) I feel the v3 is the best of all of the studio 20's. Granted the VR-1's may have done better with tube amplification, but I wasn't interested at the time in trying tubes again.

I built custom stands for the studio 20's this time. Very stable and filled with lead shot. I used the matching stands with the VR-1's. I'm sure this had some to do with it. I'm also sure that my electronics may not have been the best choice for the VR-1's. None the less, I'm using a cheaper speaker that is making me happier than before, and that's what concerns me.

I know there are some graphs avaiable that will tell you that Paradigm doesn't build a very good speaker. (as far as measurements go) The problem is, I don't look at graphs while I listen to my stereo. So the only thing that matters to me is how they sound.
I think that S7horton may have hit on it when he said that the electronics may have something to do with it. I have VR1s fed by a Rega Mira 3 integrated and the speakers sound rich, detailed, involving and substantive, and I love the combination. The VR1s are very revealing. I tried a MF A3 a while back and felt it was too bright for my taste. It may be that the 20v3 offers a good balance for the MF. Whereas, the VR1s exaggerate or reveal some characteristics of the MF A3. What it comes down to is system matching. You really need to try every speaker you are considering with your electronics to see what sounds best to you.
I've owned the VR-1s for a couple months now, and they've been terrific. My path is a little different than S7horton's, as my previous speakers were Epos ELS-3s. The Epos were as good as their reputation, but the VR-1s give me more of everything; better bass, smoother mids and highs, wider, deeper soundstage, just more music. I'm using a tube preamp, and my main source is vinyl, but I saw much improvement with my CDs and streaming digital too. My stands are not expensive, but are sand filled to provide a solid base.

I too wasn't able to audition the VR-1s before I bought them, but I found a used pair and figured my risk was small. They turned out to be a great choice for me.

David
First of, I'd like to thank you all for your thoughts. I guess it's a risk that I'm gonna have to take if I'd like to try the VR-1's. I just don't know if they would better the 20v3's with Rotel electronics, namely RSP-1066 controller and RMB-1095 power amp.
I've heard both and like both speakers, but they have very different sounds. The VR-1 is efficient, lean, and detailed. The Paradigm has a more full, yet balanced sound. So for the Rotel equipment, I would lean more toward the Paradigms. If you had a warm amp, such as a Dynaco ST-70 or something similar, or if you had a low-powered (10-20W) amp, then the VR-1 would be at the top of my list.

It depends partly on the sound that you want and partly (as stated previously) on the associated electronics.

Michael