CD Player used as transport

Does anyone have experience trying different CDPs as a transport for a DAC? I've tried a few and the results were all over the map in performance from terrible to OK, I suspect problems from the balance of the unit creep into the performance of the transport. Some could be poorly made or the designed is a 2nd thought from a transport perspective. There seem to be a lot of new or used options in the $500 range from manufactures like Oppo, Marantz, Sony, CA etc. but do any of them get the design and integration of the transport right so the unit can stand alone as a quality transport? I'm a vinyl and CD spinner, tried the computer route didn't like it. Looking to improve the transport side of CD playback before I consider upgrading my DAC.
128x128musichead
I have an older Wadia transport since new and connect it to a Jadis dac by the AES connection also have a Shitt Gungnir M/B dac connected to a Cambridge Audio CDX transport by way of the rca. Do you feel your answer would improve either of my dac transport combos especially the latter. Cables used in both instances are Acoustic Zen MC2.

Definitely.  The Synchro-Mesh does not have AES/EBU in or out though.  It has Toslink and coax, BNC and RCA in and out.

I have AES/EBU interfaces in my designs, but I have found them to generally have higher jitter for three reasons:

1) higher voltage is required for AES/EBU than S/PDIF, so more energy is required to get a fast risetime

2) usually and additional buffer is needed to do AES/EBU right, so this adds jitter

3) there are no 110 ohm XLR connectors to my knowledge, so matching the impedance is a challenge.  Cables for AES are also more difficult to build and get uniform impedance.

You could get a good Toslink cable and an excellent coax cable like my Reference BNC for $499 and run both of these from your two transports to the Synchro-Mesh.  Then you can switch between them on the front panel and get the benefits of the Synchro-Mesh for both.  A single excellent coax cable would connect to your DAC.

Here is a good Toslink if you can use it:

https://btpa.com/TOSLINK-XXX.html

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

BTW, 30-day money-back, less shipping cost, no questions asked on the Synchro-Mesh and my coax cables. My BNC cables come with 75 ohm RCA adapters.

There are customer feedback on both on my forum:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154039.0

----

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Interesting about the synchro-mesh ....

But, yes, I agree, "transports are not created equal".
My eyes were opened comparing the transport of a Simaudio CDP Equinox SE from about2008 to the new Oppo 95 I have purchased when the Oppo 95 came out with all the hype and hyperbole of neon signs. 

I compared the transports of each. The Sim made the Oppo blush with humiliation. That is when I realized the Oppo does many things good, but nothing really great. You get what you pay for. I think the biggest differences are from the circuitry and power supplies within the CDP. Now, I will say, the Sim was about $2500 new, and the Oppo $1000 new. Again, you get what you pay for, but Sim is well-known for clean power with micro and macro dynamics .... after my transport test, I sold the Oppo and never looked back ... 

All transports are equal and even better than before, provided you reclock with a Synchro-Mesh.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Does anyone have experience trying different CDPs as a transport for a DAC?
I use an Emotiva ERC-3 and Oppo UDP-205 (although the Oppo is a "universal" player), both connected to my Yggdrasil. If I play a CD, the Emotiva is preferred because I have that connected via AES/EBU. Both sound great to my ears (and without the need for exotic cables).