Tonearm Advice Needed

I would appreciate some advice on selecting a tonearm.  While new to the forum - this is my first post, I have spent quite a bit of time reading on a number of topics over the past couple of years, or so.  And, while I've had several systems composed of separates, I have allowed myself to become a little stagnant over the years.  So I have "some" knowledge, but I'm nowhere near sophisticated.

I have a couple of turntables, but I purchased another one some time ago. I plan to use it with a new system I am in the process of assembling. The turntable is a first year production TD124 (1) in great shape I bought at a pretty fair price. I did set it up with a mid-level tonearm with a MM cartridge and it was somewhat impressive. Thus, I was encouraged to improve the sound with a nice arm.

Before knowing as much as I needed to know, I put the proverbial cart before the horse a couple of years ago. I latched on to an SME 3009R still sealed in the original packaging.  I've not taken it from the sealed wrapping, since I later thought I may need a lower mass arm for an MC cart, such as an AT Art 9.  I'm considering the similar style SME M3-9R.  I could depart from the iconic style, I suppose.  But the new model may be sufficient - I'm not really sure.  The system I'm putting together so far consists of a Pass X250, Pass X1.  Phono Pre may end up being Pass as well. At the present, the phono is an ifi 2.  I've tentatively set the tonearm budget at around 2K, thinking I could sell the NOS SME to at least partially fund the new arm. I not quite comfortable with a used tonearm.  I'm not married to the whole TD124 thing, but I'm hoping that for the cost of the table and arm I can obtain very high quality sound for the money.  I'm budgeting for new speakers, having lived with 4311's and AR10Pi's for a long, long time. I listen to all genres of music.  

nolojunko
I too have owned and enjoyed using the 3009 with mc cartridges on my Ariston RD11S (the Sondek's Scottish cousin). It has sufficient mass to work well with a variety of mc cartridges! Keep it and spend the money on a world-class mc: the Miyajima Shilabe ($2800 new, less used). Check out the review on Dagogo!
Regarding speakers: the venerable Quad ESL 57 is STILL a world-beater! I myself have two pairs awaiting setup (bought my first pair in 1981 - kept them in use for 19 years before stupidly selling them!).
An ART7 (with compliance similar to ART9) works well on my SME 3012R.  Keep the 3009R. 
Note:  I just noticed I made a typo on the tonearm model I'm considering, though most of you already likely understood I must have meant SME M2-9R, at 9 g effective mass, and improved ball races, etc., vs. the early production 3009R at 12.5 g. effective mass with nylon bearing. 

For those of you who have run (or are presently running) a 3009, is it a lower mass version, such as the improved?

Another question: Is the significantly lower mass and improved ball race engineering worth the additional investment in terms of higher compliance cartridge options, performance, and SQ?  

And, would anyone know the market value of a mint NOS 3009R should I end up being convinced other tonearms would be quite a bit better on this setup?
Keep what you have.  You need to spend big dollars to make a substantial improvement