Diana Krall

I was in Fort Lauderdale last Thursday and saw/heard Diana Krall.  Second time, first was in Wilkes Barre PA after Wallflower cd, this one after her recent one.  Two quite different concerts, both outstanding.  This one was "jazzy", an upright bass, a drummer, guitarist, fiddle/violinist (and a pianist/vocalist).  5 great musicians on the stage, and a wonderful singer.  She is wonderful live.  Highly recommended, as equipment reviewers often say.  Worth the price of admission.  
rpeluso
I second the Shirley Horn "Here's to Life", a true masterpiece. She is an amazing artist.
I am listening to an album titled "The Love I’m In" by Kate Reid. Kate Reid has a very similar style as Diana Krall but Kate is so much better at phrasing and emotion. If you like Diana you owe it to yourself to listen to this album by Kate Reid. You can easily find her on any of the streaming services. These two artists are so close in style it is amazing but so far apart in "soulfulness". Just listen to "With Every Breath I Take" from this album or almost any other cut. This album is so much better than anything I have heard from Diana but so very similar in style that it is a real education listening to both artists.
I’ll be experiencing my 80th year this coming summer. And ... I’m still blessed with excellent hearing.

I’ve been a jazz fan since the middle 50’s when I was still in high school and frequenting the local jazz clubs as a teenager here in Southern California.

I’m a Diana Krall fan. While she doesn’t have the "voice" of Dinah Washington ( Blue Gardenia), June Christy (Something Cool), the phrasing of Billy Holiday, or dare I say, an equal to the late, great, Sarah Vaughn, she still has that sultriness that good female jazz singers should have.

IMO, DK is a much better pianist than a singer. Over the years, I’ve learned to listen between the notes and have discovered that what a musician doesn’t play is just as important, if not more important, than what they do play. Miles is a good case in point. DK does a fine job with silence between the notes as well.

Singers like DK are a matter of taste. There is no right or wrong here. I really like DK and have plenty of her recordings including some bootlegs. How about a private New Years Eve party where she sang for friends? I have it. Or another recording where she is overcoming the flu, sneezing and coughing throughout the performance? I have that one too.Her "Live in Paris" CD is really, really good to my ears ... I think its her best album.

But then, I have just about everything Julie London recorded as well. Not all of Julie London’s work was great ... the best IMO was the album on which she sang "Cry Me a River." That album made her name. She was heavily promoted by her husband Bobby Troup.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JULIE-LONDON-Julie-is-her-name-great-cover-and-Play-Tested-LP/401498614784?...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bobby+troup&_osacat=11233&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l...

Want to hear an obscure jazz singer who showed a lot of promise before she dropped out of the scene? Try Joanie Sommers:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=joannie+sommers&_sacat...

Joanie was two years behind me in high school where she used to sing at our assemblies. Jazz muscians loved to play as her accompaniment because her jazz phrasings were so good. A real cutie too.

Again, music is a matter of taste. No rights and no wrongs.

Frank
IMO, DK is a much better pianist than a singer.
I feel same, but her instrument skills are also very limited and primitive.