Tube life

Greetings,

Wondering if my tubes or my hearing’s going. Feeling my system should sound better. Bought  Vandersteen Quatros 2 months ago and believe I've got them dialed in fairly well. I include this because I don't have years of listening to them to compare back to. Have to turn my CJ Premier 16 pre to about 43 to get a decent amount of sound. These Quatros replaced Tannoy Kensingtons that only needed a volume setting of 32 for a decent amount of sound.

System is:  

• Pre:   Conrad Johnson Premier 16LS
• Pwr:   Conrad Johnson Premier 12 Mono Blocks
• Pwr Condtnr: Shunyata Hydra
• Speakers: Vandersteen Quatros
• Cabeling: Stealth PGS IC’s, Vandenhull Bi-wire Speaker wiring
• Sources: Conrad Johnson DV-2B CD Player, SOTA Star w/SME arm w/Benz cart, Magnum Dynalab Tube Tun
• Music:   Classic Rock, Easy listening, Female Jazz singers, Classical
• Room:   Big (25 X 30) w/cathedral ceiling. Harwood floors/ceiling and big glass windows. Rugs and furniture

Replaced all unit's tubes 5 years ago and bought them all from Conrad Johnson. Play the system about 10 hours a week so that would be about 2600 hours of play.

Think the tubes have seen their better days? My hearing? I'm 56...

Thank you!

rbschauman
It's a simple difference in sensitivity of the speakers, The Quatros are 87db efficient and Kensingtons 93bd, so you need higher volume to attain the same loudness. On the subject of tubes 5 years is a decent long time you may want to look at retubing or better yet getting your tubes tested if you have a local dealer with a tube tester. Hope that helps!
Thank you jond, yeah quite a difference in efficiency you pointed out. Doubting there's a local dealer with tube testing ability but I'm sure going to look, that'd be great!

Thanks again,
Randy
2500 hours is not an excessive amount for the small signal tubes in most pre-amps (there are exceptions) but it's getting up there for power tubes.  At that point, not a bad idea to buy a set, if  you can't find someone to test them.  If there is a big improvement, you have your answer.  If not, you have a spare set for the inevitable day when one or more tubes goes bad. 
Thank you swampwalker, exactly where my thoughts have gone too. $1,500 when I last tubed though....yikes!!