Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
I believe that was 1957 and the band’s “sound” was pretty well established by then.   I know what you mean about the prominence of the reeds and you’re right:

****I guess with a singer, the arrangements are different.****

More “generic” in order to feature the singer.  The band’s distinguishing traits are a lot more subtle in that arrangement, like Harry Carney’s huge baritone sound leading on the opening chords and Jimmy Hamilton’s clarinet with that beautiful “classically trained” tone that he had.  Ella sounds sublime.  Love that recording.  

"views that I and others strongly believe are off the mark and not rooted in reality."

Was what you saw on TV fantasy or reality?

Frogman, I wish I was you; playing with my nice rig, and listening to good music (not that I don't have both) but the difference is the fact that I am aware of many more "realities" than you, and they keep disturbing me.

My posts will make about as much difference as another drop of water in the Pacific Ocean, but this is who I am and what I do; now back to the music.

Acman, was that your version of "Back to the music"?

This is what's playing where I am;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BJNxVf_iLM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF_Kwdmg1Cg

From a Christian point of view you are to speak against against the wrong
at all times and all places no matter what .

O-10 is a better and braver American  than anyone else on this post,
and not by a little bit .

If it looks like a troll, and walks like a troll and sounds like a troll, then by George, it's a troll!!

Cheers

Frogman, what you have not stated speaks volumes about who you are, what you have not looked at speaks volumes about who you are. Did you look at the two links I presented?

As far as I'm concerned, your posts confirm all of my thesis in regard to the "United States of America". "If you see a lynching folks, just look the other way". If you see Black bodies floating all over New Orleans just look the other way.

They sent the "Keystone Cops" and a bunch of stooges to New Orleans, while they sent the "A" Team half way around the world; would you care to comment on that FACT Frogman?