Krell S1200 or Yamaha CXA5100?

These 2 seem to be close in used price 1500 for Yamaha and 2K for basic S1200 Krell.  I am looking for best quality performance through HDMI DTS MA and Dolby TRU HD. I am using a Panasonic UB900 which seems to be a good digital transport compared to the other BR players I"ve had and since it has dual HDMI outs I don't care about video capabilities of the processor and don't care about the atmos feature since I'm only using 5.1 speaker setup. Just audio from HDMI is mainly all I'm concerned about.
nak127
Hey Auxinput . I own S1200 for last few years. I have experienced the same issues as you mentioned above. Please tell me whats is the laptop software and how did you get it ? Same with new firmware.  I did drop an  email to  [email protected], [email protected]  few months ago, but still no answer from them. 
I love my S1200 it sounds incredible, so I'm desperate to fix that issues.
Thanks for any help.

hi maella.  Yes, I have had the same problems with responses from Krell.  I think they are very busy sometimes.  You just have to keep on them and keep calling if you want a response.  Krell has their own "Flashloader" software that will upgrade the firmware using a normal RS232 serial cable (NOT a NULL MODEM cable).  Firmware is specific to the serial number of the unit as there are many versions of firmware for the S1200 / S1200U / S1200U-3D.

Actually, all the above problems I have documented were fixed by a DSP board replacement.  I think the problems may have been bugs or bad components in the original "Gen 1" version of the DSP board, as several others have documented the same problems on their S1200 units.

Your unit has the Gen 1 Dual DSP board, which can no longer me made because the DSP IC’s were discontinued by the manufacture. This forced us to do some minor redesign work to the Dual DSP board, thus creating the Gen 2 Dual DSP board. This will work fine for your application but will require new faceplate software to be loaded up into the unit after the install.

That was one of the responses I got back from Krell.  I think your best bet is to fill out a Service Request form and send your S1200 in for repair.  I would specifically request the installation of the Gen 2 DSP board.  Actually, once I did a service RMA request and sent the unit it, it was fixed pretty quickly.  Right now, the service department might be backed up because I have another friend who has been waiting about 4 weeks for his Krell preamp to be repaired.

http://www.krellonline.com/service-request-form.html

My Krell S1200U was still under warranty, so they did not charge me for the Gen 2 board.  I don't know what the cost would be if you had to buy it.  I think it could potentially be a couple thousand dollars.

Hi auxinput, thanks one more time for your help. Once i get back home i'll open the service ticket and see how it goes. Anyways, I'm living in EU so sending my S1200 to US would be a problem. My goal is to try to do it myself. I'm IT engineer so updating the chip firmware is a bread and and butter for me. I hope i dont have to replace the DSP board, my S1200 warranty is long gone.
Post removed