Question .. I hear a loud pop through speakers every couple minutes when playing vinyl

VPI scout
ATA phono pre

I have narrowed down the problem and it is with either the VPI or ATA phonopre. I have changed cables, amps etc and the pop remains. It happens at different points on the vinyl everytime, never the same spot.  Everything will be playing fine and then POP, then everything goes back to normal and then POP. Digital plays fine with no issues. Has anyone had a similar issue. The phonopre is like 50 hours new but I did not have this issue until last night. I have not removed the top of the ATA and changed tubes because in my experience dying tubes sound much different than this. The motor of the VPI pops when I turn it on and off and I hear this is a common problem that Scout motors have had and can be fixed easily but I dont think this has anything to do with it. My cartridge is an AT ART9 and has been flawless. I might just buy a super cheap phonopre and see if it remains. If anyone out there has ever had this issue what was the remedy?

Thanks

128x128bryantdrew
Tubes can make quite a variety of noises, in my experience. No mention was made, as to whether the pop might be in only one channel. If so- swap the ATA’s tubes, between channels and see if the pop follows suit. If it’s in both, yes- static could be the issue, or(possibly) the ATA’s power supply(defective capacitor/cold solder joint/etc). In a pic of an ATA phono pre’s internals, I noticed some screw terminals, between the transformer, power supply board and circuitry. You might want to check those connections.
Thanks so much. I re-grounded everything and so far it has been behaving. Good tip with the record preserver. I am going to pick some up. If the pop does reappear I will contact Tom who is ATA and see what the next step should be as well as swap out all the tubes. BTW this phono pre has a great sound, for the money I doubt there is anything better. 

Having a humidifier in the room during winter really helps with static electricity. Definitely worth the trouble. 

Having a humidifier in the room during winter really helps with static electricity. Definitely worth the trouble.

+1, run a room humidifier, and your "pops" will vanish.