Gonna have to ditch the Soundsmith Carmen II

I've given this cart the benefit of the doubt and then some, but it's going to have to go. 

the sibilance on s's is just to much. The sound isn't distorted, just way louder than the rest of the vocals. This happens to one degree or the other on all records with vocals. Sometimes it's barely noticeable sometimes it hard to bare. other than the sibilance I love the sound, I love the live nature of the music.  so I hate getting rid of it. 

So so the things I've done and made sure are dead on:

alighnment - that means SRA, VTA, TF, Azimuth, anti skate (per,SS), platter level, checked mounting hardware, checked tunntable . . .etc

my Denon 2x20L doesn't do this.

it may be there is a bad combo with some piece of equipment or loudspeaker and it just doesn't jive with the rest of the rig. 

My system:

VPI prime
Parasound JC3+ Phono pre
PAD phono cables
Decware integrated SET tube amp
Zu Omen Def MKII with Radian tweeter upgrade. 

So the question is what cart, around $1k will give that live dynamic sound, tracks well, but does emphasize the S's?

ones I'im interested in but have no way of hearing:

Ortofon Quintet Black
Audio Technica ART 9
???

last_lemming
I had the same sibilance problem. I was not the SS Sussurro cart. (Peter's prototype).  Improvements to my electronics solved the problem.
Could it be your speakers?  Especially with the "upgraded" tweeter, this could be part of the problem... in your small room.

last, I recently watched Peter's video from the RMAF 2017.  One comment explained why the Fozgometer is not appropriate for azimuth adjustments with his styli.  That seems more related to balance and separation than sibilance but it is one reason your careful set up may not be optimal.

At his point it seems the best answer would be to return your cartridge to Soundsmith to have them test it.
Dear Carmen MKII Owner;

I do not have you phone number, and did not get a recent message that you called.

When we initially spoke, I spent quite a bit of time going over the alignment procedure with you. There are alignment videos on my website, some (azimuth) explaining why the Fozgometer will often not work with our cartridges. I did tell you that when we spoke. You simply cannot use it.

I also asked you if you tested the skating force via our method on our website, but got no response. I use VPI tables in our showroom, and have used them at shows for 12 years. I am very familiar with them and I can promise you if you have not dealt with the skating forces on your unipivot VPI arm, you are not tracking properly. I can almost guarantee that.

It can be easily rectified with their anti-skating device and our method specifically for VPI arms - on our website.

Bear in mind, that if you do our test, (placing the stylus on a non-pressed region at the end of the record, BETWEEN the run out grooves), and you observe the arm FLYING in at great speed, that means you have likely about 80% of the VTF on the left groove wall, and 20% on the right. Even tracking the Carmen MKII heavily at 1.6 grams, that means you have .3 grams on the right stylus edge, absolutely NOT enough to track well, especially at high velocities (high frequency) and it WILL absolutely cause sibilant performance !!! Not to mention use of the Fozgometer on Soundsmith designs.

Again, I never heard back from you after our lengthy conversation where I tried to assist you, as to whether you had followed my advice. I also offered to inspect the Carmen for you to rule out a problem.

Surprisingly so, I do run into some customers who don’t accept my advice. When they call back, I find they have not done as I suggested. Please reach out to us again, and WE WILL HELP YOU. 914 739 2885

Many thanks -

Peter Ledermann / president / Soundsmith