New Sony HAP-Z1ES Firmware Out Today

I installed the newest firmware today and was pleasantly surprised that the player now supports an external DAC via the USB connection. It now does DSD over USB2 and there is a provision to turn it on/off. I played a couple of different artists and the player seems to work perfectly with the iPad remote.  Here is the skinny, direct from Sony:

This firmware upgrade (version 18033R) provides the following improvements over version 17384R:

• Adds support for the Media Server function
  • Adds support for the USB digital output function (USB hub support for connecting each of one HDD drive, one CD drive, and one USB DAC)
  • Adds support for Seek operations
  • Adds support for the Fade In/Out function
  • Adds the Go to genre/artist/album/folder function to the Options menu
  • Adds the following operations:
    • Queuing the track next to the one currently playing, and queuing the track last
    • Deleting the track from the play queue
    • Creating a playlist with the play queue
    • Deleting the playlist
    • Deleting the track from the playlist
    • Deleting the information of a disconnected external hard disk drive

128x128stereo5
All,

A white horizontal line appeared in the display of my HAP-Z1ES about two months ago.  I do not know if the line is relevant to, or connected with, the cessation of function of my HAP when the internal drive becomes full or nearly full (see my previous post, above).

After perusing Sony's online information regarding the HAP, I contacted Sony via its support phone number (1 (877) 643-1216. To my surprise, a person answered the phone when I called; the person understood what I was talking about; the person did not ask me endless irrelevant questions; and the person genuinely attempted to answer my questions. Sony is sending me a repair ticket and will repair my HAP at no cost. The gentleman who answered the phone said the repair would take 5-7 business days.

Has anyone here been experimenting with externals DACs connected to the HAP-Z1ES USB port?  Is the signal that comes from the HAP USB port to the external DAC a PCM signal or a DSD signal?  Can we choose, or designate, the type of signal sent from the USB port to the external DAC?  Can we configure the HAP-Z1ES to send a PCM signal through its USB port?

One reason I ask is that The Absolute Sound, in its May/June 2017 issue (which has just come out, at least online), has an article by Robert Harley regarding the "Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC".  Harley states this DAC, which will accept a PCM signal but not DSD, is one of the three greatest DACs, at any price, he's ever heard (the other DACs cost $19,500 and $35,000, respectively).  He raved about it.  Given the reasonable price ($2300) of the Schiit DAC, it would be very nice and very handy if the HAP-Z1ES could be configured to emit a PCM signal from its USB port so the Schiit could accept the signal and do its magic to it.

TWD

I have an Auralic Vega DAC connected to my Sony HAP Z1's USB port and there is a definite improvement in the sound. I’m outputting 44.1kb, flac, DSD 64 and DSD 128. Wonderful!
@sfseay Do you use a streaming service like Tidal via your Auralic Vega? If so, do you have a music streaming device or just your PC? 

My goal would be to have my Sony HAPZ1 handle the purchased tunes, and somehow interface with Tidal to enable streaming playback. Then I could decide to upgrade with a USB DAC if later desired. Since Spotify hasn't upgraded to high res, I still have to use two devices (the Sony and a separate setup to stream music).
Sfseay
i cannot get the Sony HAPZ1ES to link with my  Auralic Vega
i have the latest software installed on the Sony 
how were you able to connect 
please advise 
thanks

@sfseay I cannot get the Sony HAPZ1ES to connect with my Vega 
The Sony has the  current software I have spoken with both Sony and Auralic people and all are cratchibg their heads 
how were you able to connect 
please advise
thanks 
Rick