David Berning Quadrature Z or Vitus SS-101

I've been using a Vitus SS-101 for some time and it's certainly a fantastic amp. I've been wanting to try a great tube amp that's not sloppy in the bass and i've negotiated the purchase of a David Berning Qaudrature Z. I will a/b test on my system and sell the one that loses the shootout. Any thoughts on what's the better amp?
128x128davidhyman
Hi guys, I'm considering to get the DB Quadrature Z for my Maggie 1.7i. I know it's probably an overkill for the small Maggies but the 1.7i are the biggest panels that can work in my small 180 s.q. room, I started with 1.6 then traded up to 3.6 which simply over-energized the room, so switched back to the smaller 1.7i.
Anyway my biggest hesitation is the DB amps' reliability because if anything goes wrong I doubt anyone here in Hong Kong know how to fix it. Can any long term user share his experience living with the Quadrature Z?? Thanks a bunch!!
I have owned David Berning’s ZH230 and now own several Linear Tube Audio amps (David Berning designed) and can say these are probably the most reliable OTL types ever made. I would suggest you try the LTA ZOTL40 to use with your Maggie’s. Get them as 80 watt mono blocks and you will be rewarded. I swear these amps were made electrostats. The synergy is amazing and then add in all of the possibilities with rolling EL34 tubes. I have a pair of Janszen’s and a ZOTL40 with NOS Mullard EL34s and I would add to use the MZ2 as a preamp for maximum synergy.
Thx lancelock for the assuring feedback on DB amps' reliability, & the suggestion on LTA. Will surely look into that direction also. I'm currently driving the Maggies with a Plinius SA reference, & want to experiment with a OTL tube amp but fear their infamous quirkiness.
@nicknick , funny thing, I also own the Plinius SA103 and the ZOTL40 sounds better to my ears. The Berning Amps with its built in redundant protection circuitry is almost fool proof. Sure you still will need tube occasionally but not as often as other tube amps. A set of tubes could last up to 10 years of every day use. There is a lot of info on the ZOTL designs. It’s not your normal OTL circuit in fact many argue vigorously it’s not an OTL at all. It’s certainly not a space heater like my an OTL or my SA103 which I will put up for sale soon.
I took the plunge & bought the Quadrature Zs which arrived yesterday. They sure sound more transparent, airy & vivid than my Plinius. Of course the Maggies need to be repositioned slightly to compensate for the difference in presentation.  Once I get to know the new system better, will probably retain the SA-Ref to drive the Maggie DWM bass panel solely. My wife can't understand why I have so many "boxes" in the hi fi system ^ ^.