Audio Research Ref 3 VS Mark Levinson 38s

Im thinking about upgrading my preamp. Right now i have the Mark Levinson 38s preamp. What will be the differences in sound between them. Would this be upgrade ? 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
The REF 3 with new tubes is very hard to beat and for the money, impossible to beat.
It is quite good, but I've heard better for less. I prefer the ARC over the 38S as well.
i’d consisider the ml 326s . imo it is much superior to the two units in question and can be purchased used for a good price. i had both back to back and thought the 326s much superior.,just an opinion though. 
I agree with 4425.  I’ve spent a lot of time with the REF3 and while it’s a great unit I prefer my 326s for a variety of reasons.

I would definitely think about the 326s.  If the REF 3 and 326s are close in price (relative that is). 

Mark Levinson company (don't know if this was Mark Levinson the person or the new company after he sold it), made/makes excellent equipment.

As Ralph (Atma-Sphere) also said, there are some pre-amps at or better than the REF 3 for the price.

But, you can't go wrong with the REF 3, 380s or 326s.

enjoy

4425, jim_swantko   Would you please list your variety of reasons you would go with the ML 326s over the ARC Ref 3? I really would like my next preamp purchase be my last . Thanks...