TV gives me a headache when its on; any suggestions?

i'd like to have shows on in the background, but i find if the bugger is playing, my playback suffers (stage compression by way of higher noise floor) and i get a headache.

apartment dweller, btw. 

whatdyoudo?
128x128rhyno
Post removed 
I remember my fight with landlord long time ago to get more than 15 amps my whole apartment was wired to with appliances. 
I could not run neither microwave, vacuum or AC.
My solution was to pull wire from common basement 50amp mains directly to my apartment panel nice clean and quiet.

just fyi everyone.

i've a new apartment, and the tv and stereo (and several other lights, incl fluorescents and fans / dimmer switches) are all on the same breaker (15a). 
the tv had an iso-tranny (1kva) but that clearly wasn't enough.

things improved markedly when i ran the tv, through the tranny, into a diff breaker. 

(never liked trannys in series w/ the AC to the stereo). 

might try some caps across the +/- for duplexes on the same breaker. more to come. 
Stop watching FauxNooz and you'll feel relief almost instantly. Probably even pick up a few IQ points, too!

TV sound is already (still) compressed. You can try using a limiter/compressor for TV which can be set up to gate and then compress as it walks up to the limit you set, which can be soft or hard-kneed. IN a small place, knocking dynamics out helps a lot and it makes the sound of TV fuller. Some TVs also have SETTABLE compression rates, as do bluray/dvd players. Play with those. Set them too aggressively and they'll pump the noise up like a rerun of Rat Patrol!

For video, I use a Swiss Army Knife device, and it's TV, so true hifi is hardly a worry, a Behringer Ultrafex, which does a bunch of cool things. The model has been updated and expanded greatly over the years. For a couple hundred bucks, it's a great all around toy, can be useful as a noise reduction, an expander, peak unlimiter, soundstage toy, limiter, compressor, eq and some other stuff, and that's just my box. The newer stuff is far more crafty.

Behringer is a pro-audio company that doesn't rip people off. Sure, sure, there are better devices in every category, but they are like hifi: double the cost for a few percent more performance, unless you find there is a feature you must have.

It's cable news and talks shows and junk. Process the crap out of it and make it palatable.

Behringer is a good deal, lots of bang for the buck without trying to find and modify a mint dbx 119 which I used to have as my original go-to TV audio fixer upper until it was stolen.

Oh, and the Behringer stuff has knobs! Menus, too, but knobs! Who knew! Don't worry, it can be done.