Record Cleaning Fluid?

Does anyone use just plain distilled water with their record cleaning machines??
128x128stringreen
Thanks for the comments.   I have a NittyGritty which sucks off the plain distilled water.   I use a microfiber clean cloth to distribute the water when its on the record...and to wipe the record dry before playing.
Sorry, just a quick side question: any recommendations for a cheap and easy to buy surfactant?
1 or 2 drops of Dawn dish washing detergent (or other cheaper store brand if so inclined) in ~250 mls of a 10:1 distilled water:99% Isopropyl alcohol solution will work just fine.  You just need enough to produce a little stable foam when shaken.  No need to get into industrial grade chemicals like Tergitols.  You'll be rinsing with pure water after a vacuuming step to remove the DIY cleaning solution so don't ask about which color Dawn is better.  Leave that for the OCD-types that swear they can hear a difference depending on which Dawn is used  :-)
I’ve always wondered how some Jet Dry would affect the performance of a KL Audio US machine. In theory, it seems like an ideal additive. Borrowed from another site…
Finish Jet-Dry rinse aid has a bunch of stuff in it, but it isn’t complicated, really. Here’s a rundown of the contents:

• Water is necessary to dissolve all the other stuff.
  • Alcohol ethoxylate is a nonionic (uncharged) surfactant that helps the water slide off your dishes better and thus helps them dry faster. This ingredient is probably the most important bit in rinse aids; more on how it works in a minute.
  • Sodium polycarboxylate is an anti-redeposition polymer that wraps itself around the crud that the dishwasher just washed off so that the bits don’t get stuck again on your dishes.
  • Citric acid, which RB (the company that makes Jet-Dry) calls a complexing/sequestering agent, is really good at grabbing calcium ions out of hard water. Calcium can bind with surfactants and keep them from cleaning and rinsing dishes, so citric acid acts as kind of a sacrificial lamb to keep calcium from interfering.
  • Sodium cumene sulfonate is another surfactant but with an electric charge, so it’s a bit better at breaking water’s surface tension on your dishes than alcohol ethoxylate, but it’s also more foamy (PDF). Foam is bad in a rinse aid, so that’s why such products use both kinds of surfactant.
  • Tetrasodium EDTA is a chelating agent. EDTA is short for ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid. It’s this funky-looking molecule that wraps its four arms around dissolved minerals in the water (such as calcium). The word chelate comes from the Greek word for “claw,” so you can imagine this molecule sinking its claws into minerals and whisking them away, similar to what citric acid does.
  • Methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone (aka MI and MCI) are both preservatives, meaning they keep bacteria from growing in your bottle of rinse aid. Both are capable of causing skin allergies and are sensitizers, meaning that if you’re exposed to them over and over again, you can develop an allergy. But since rinse aid doesn’t sit on your skin and washes away completely from your dishes, I wouldn’t worry about it here.
  • CI Acid Blue 9 is dye. It makes the rinse aid blue. Why does it need to be blue? I have no idea, although colored solutions are easier to see in that little rinse-aid compartment.
@stringreen,

Your welcome to join the "Thumbs Up For Ultrasonic Record Cleaning" thread.

( let's let by-gones be by-gones)

Cheers!