Recommend some Jazz to me

A friend and I have been checking out some Jazz records recently. Mostly Miles Davis 1st and 2nd great quintet stuff. He turned me on to Bill Evans - Sunday at the Village Vanguard, which I have been enjoying.

Someone in another recent thread recommended Elvin Jones - Poly-currents. I listened to the 1st track and it knocked me off my feet. Of course we're familair with Brubeck - Time Out. We're both drummers and I took a couple of lessons with Morello back in the day. I've also checked out some Milt Jackson.

What other artists or records would you recommend? They don't have to be great "drum" records per se. Hi fidelity recordings are a bonus.

Thanks!

Joe

128x128audionoobie
Thanks all for the suggestions. Right this second I’m listening to Elvin Jones/Coalition and Poly-Currents via Tidal. Really enjoying them.

I think bluesy41 hit the nail on the head in terms of what I was looking for i.e the cornerstone records of swing from the 50’s and 60’s. I’m going to check out your Mingus and Keith Jarret recommendations next. 

Im very familiar with Kind of Blue btw. I really dig Neftiti by Miles too. 

Im pretty burned out on the whole fusion thing which is why I started out on this quest. I agree with BDP (black diamond pearl) regarding Cobham, although I was floored by Spectrum when I first heard it in high school. 

Cheers,
Joe
If you have access to Pandora, listen to the bebop station. That is my favorite jazz genre.  I mean, what is jazz? 🙃 Too much to be specific but Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Coltrane, Davis, Rollins, etc, etc etc,  

I entered the Jazz "pool" with Stan Getz.  Great stuff.  I like his Bossa Nova stuff also
Well, you asked.  This is a list I received when I first became interested in Jazz.

Here are some classics that a) you need to hear and b) are also great....

1)Horace Silver - start with his earlier ones. I recommend The Jody Grind and Song For My Father
2) Charles Mingus - try Mingus Ah Um, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, and Mingus Dynasty
3) Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus. Plus anything he did with his quartet that included Jim Hall. His recent Road Shows discs are good too, but SC is the place to start
4) Dave Brubeck - Time Out of course, but Time In, Time Further Out, Live at Carnegie, Plays Disney, Jazz Impressions of Japan, Jazz Impressions of Eurasia are all good
5) Ellington, Mingus, Max Roach - Money Jungle
6) if you like Sonny Clark, make sure you have Cool Struttin'
7) modern day - Etienne Charles' Creole Soul is great, as is Warren Wolf's self titled disc. Joshua Redman and Christian McBride are both always reliable and swinging. Joe Lovano.
8) like trombone? Try Frank Rosolino, J.J. Johnson (The Eminent... discs v.1-2 are good), Curtis Fuller and Steve Turre (modern)
9) organ? Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff's band that included George Benson on guitar, Joey DeFrancesco burns, as do Tony Monaco and Barbara Dennerlein
10) early jazz: Louis Armstrong Hot 5s and Hot 7s; Sidney Bechet
11) Django Reinhardt was one of a kind on guitar
12) Thelonius Monk - so many. Riverside and Blue Notrs are classic. Later Columbias are good but less revelatory. Live At The It Club from 1964 is a nice career survey thought
13) Art Blakey - Moanin' and "Roots and Herbs"
14) Modern Jazz Quartet - Django is a good place to start
15) Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, the album that kicked electric jazz in the pants
16 Clifford Brown/Max Roach quintet - EmArcy recordings. Super swinging post-bop
17) Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder is the classic. Live At the Lighthouse is the real eye-opener
18) Wayne Shorter - 60s Blue Note recordings are classic
19) Bobby Hutcherson - ditto
20) Andrew Hill - double ditto, esp. Point of Departure
21) Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
22) Red Garland, Horace Parlan - two great, gospel-infused piano trios, each recorded quite prolifically
23) Cannonball Adderley - Something Else

Here are two good lists:
1) heavy on classic jazz, but can't go wrong with anything here:
http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2008/05/19/100-essential-jazz-albums

2) Interesting, eclectic choices with a lot of more current (70s to today) stuff
http://www.jazzwisemagazine.com/pages/jazz-album-reviews/11585-the-100-jazz-albums-that-shook-the-world

Have Fun!!!
S.O.B.

check out any of the albums in Bernard Purdie's discography here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Purdie

He is one of the smoothest drummers there is. Also one of the most in demand studio drummers, he has recorded with all the best jazz musicians. Featured on Steely Dan Gaucho, his understated tight rhythms will remind you of Morello. His own albums also reflect that style. Emphasis on musicians working in concert, not just trying to outdo each other.