Thumbs up for ultrasonic record cleaning

My Cleaner Vinyl ultrasonic record cleaner arrived today and it’s impressive.

Everything I’d read indicated that ultrasonic was the way to go, and now I count myself among the believers. Everything is better - records are quieter, less ticks and pops, more detail etc.

All my records had been previously cleaned with a vacuum record cleaner and were well cared for. Nonetheless, the difference is obvious and overwhelmingly positive.

Phil
phil0618
@lewm

In my experience, the positive effects are clear and easily heard.

Come on over....there's plenty of room in the fold.
Good choice! I completely agree with your conclusions. May I make the following suggestions, based on my experience?

1.  Make sure that there is enough space for the ultrasonic wave to develop. That means spacing between the tank and the record, and record to record, must exceed 1.5 inches at all points, even when records are warped (assumes a 40KHz machine operating at full frequency spec).
2.  Keep your cleaning chemistry between 40 and 50 C.
3.  Finish by rinsing off the cleaning chemistry.

When I failed to do one or more of the above, records came out looking clean, but further cleaning revealed that much more gunk had been left behind. Had to re-clean 2000 records, which I do not recommend.

Enjoy!
@terry9

I’m sure the 1&1/5" spacing is optimal. No doubt. The Vinyl Stack unit that I own and is quite an excellent unit doesn’t allow for this if you use more than two lps. (I happen to most times, clean while I listen, and spacing out two lps on my Vinyl Stack achieves this goal and is more conducive to the listening day in that I can vacuum dry the two previously cleaned lps, in a timely manner in order to go forward to the next two without any (build up) of cleaned lps.

This was a long way in saying, that in spite of my regimen, I’ve tried 4 lps in my 10 liter tank/Vinyl Stack, and I really prefer cleaning two lps at a time, spaced appropriately. I'm taking an extremely long way to say, I agree.

I own an Audio Desk and my Rushton copy is superior in every way even with using plain distilled water.